Infrared vision

Can we take a thin mesh(so light still gets through) and cover it with some kind of nontoxic pigment that will flouresce under infrared light, then attach that mesh over a contact lense. That would allow you to see where the infrared is coming from. This is just an idea I had when I woke up. I am probably not going to do this myself so feel free to criticize/suggest/destroy/try your self. Just wondering if this could be done. I don't have the recources for this at the moment.

Comments

• As far as I understand, everything gives off infrared so it would all fluoresce and you'd sort of just be covering your eyes with an opaque screen.

• Yes but it wouldn"t be that sensitive.

• What kind of pigment were you thinking? Could probably be tested with a pair of glasses very easily.

• Not sure, this is just an idea at the moment. Do you have any in mind?

• Some of the pigments used for anti forgery protocols in bank notes are extremely IR reactive (immediately fluoresce when hit with IR) and partake in high energy reactions (immediately defluoresce when IR is absent), but when I've seen them used they don't react to anything less powerful than like an infrared laser or flashlight. If that's what you're going for then yeah it could work. The maximum distance away it would work from can't be super high though I don't think but it'd be worth trying.

• Hmm maybe something more powerful? Although since its so close to the eye even tiny bits of light will probably be detected.

• I'll speak to some chemists on Monday and see if I can find out more.

• Ok cool.

• It would be cool if somebody could combine this CovertBand research with an augmented reality headset like Microsoft HoloLens to produce a crude form of X-Ray vision. Maybe if you painted your walls white and setup LIFX smart light bulbs to change colors (sort of like a green screen), you could switch between different types of vision abilities, i.e. InfraRed, X-Ray/Sonar, FLIR, etc.

http://musicattacks.cs.washington.edu
    https://www.lifx.com

• Thing is, infrared light doesn't carry that much energy. So most things won't fluoresce when exposed to it. If it were that easy, they'd use that tech in night vision goggles, but they don't. They use fancy silicon ccd's or other electronic solutions

• Yeah that's where I'm stuck.

• Hey Decal, I got white walls and a Hololens. Do you know any programmers?