Telomerase Reverse Transcriptase Enzyme Injections for Improving Longetivity

Hello. I was hoping that some people could help me think about this. I was thinking that telomerase reverse transcriptase enzyme could be injected intravenously, and that cell receptors would pick it up, and voila, rejuvenated telomeres. You can purchase this enzyme for about $150, which, seeing that you would only injected every couple of years or so, would be an acceptable price for anyone of any budget who wants to live longer. Do you think that this could work? If not, please feel free to correct me and point out what I have missed. Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

• The enzyme would need some way to get into the cells. A delivery mechanism. We have a lot of various ways to break down random enzymes floating around.

• It's been demonstrated that there's no link between long telomeres and longevity.
    Many cancer cells, which split by mitosis at a very fast pace, have been shown to have quite short telomeres at the ends of their chromosomes.
    Elderly people's chromosomes have shorter telomeres mostly because all enzymes in our bodies, including the telomerase, start working at a slower pace as years pass by. And that's quite physiological, as our whole metabolism begins slowing down with aging.

Moreover, as glims pointed out, injecting intravenously is utterly pointless if there are no receptors ready to catch the enzyme on your cell membranes.
  • edited October 2016
    I'd like to continue this discussion if nobody minds. There have been mice studies suggesting that telomerase gene therapy can in fact extend lifespan. Obviously what contributes to a mouse may not contribute to a human but let's humor the idea since currently attempting to extend one's life is a hail mary attempt anyway.

Rather than simply shooting up this enzyme, modifying a virus so that it can attack the cells and extend the telomeres in this way. I think this is what BioViva basically did? I know it may not be proven but say one wants to try this method anyway. Where's a good start for someone interested in modifying a virus in this manner?

Proposed game plan here would basically be to create your viral culture, plummet your own immune system, expose yourself until the virus catches on and multiplies then let it run its course through you. Where though does one start on learning to create such a culture? I know this is one of those "if you have to ask you shouldn't be modifying your own genes" but for academic sake...
  • Thank you, Aeternaeon. I appreciate your understanding of my idea, and your contribution, as opposed to blatant disregard due to the advanced nature of the project. And I agree with you that a virus may actually be preferable to direct injection. Also, I have come up with another idea that may be easier to attain. Possibly by binding the telomerase to glucose could piggyback on the glucose into the cells.
  • Did you check Nicotinamide Riboside ? It doesnt affect Telomerase, but repairs DNA and any other possitive efects
  • I tried nadh+ and trans-pterostilbene together as a supplement for a little while. Subjectively it gave me kind of a 'fresh' or 'clean' feeling and I felt a little more energetic... I didn't really take it long enough to be sure of any kind of a difference though, it is sort of expensive. It gave me a positive impression though.
  • Elysium makes a pill with both but its like $50ish when you can get them separately for a little cheaper online
  • Wouldn't you expect cancers to have short telomeres? Isn't the whole point of telomeres to kill off cells when they've divided too many times and are likely full of mutations? Lengthening your telomeres without addressing the underlying reason they exist (which is manifold I expect) is like putting new plates on a 30 year old car and thinking it'll run like new.
  • @Frank just saying... I did put new plates on an old Toyota pickup I found in the woods, and it seems to run great now... o3o
  • @Zerbula that Toyota is haunted by evil ghosts RIP Zerbula