NFC tattoo over implant?

edited July 2016 in RFID/NFC
I have zero tattoos or piercings/implants.  I will be getting an xNT implanted shortly.  I had kicked around the idea of having the NFC logo tattooed over it.  Not even sure why, but hell, I can't even explain to people why I'm getting the xNT either.  I guess it seems amusing, a conversation starter, and an extra F-you to the anti-RFID people.  So two questions...

Would there be some danger in doing the tat after the implant?  I have no idea how deep the implant sits, or how deep the tattoo needle goes.

What's your opinion on doing it at all.  Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if you feel that way.

Tagged:

Comments

• The choice is yours in doing it or whether or not it's a stupid idea. If it appeals to you go nuts. Just remember that tattoos are(mostly) forever. That all said.....

I would suggest airing on the side of caution. Personally I would not do an implant then tattoo just Incase the needle does contact it or move the implant while getting the tattoo. I would get the tattoo let it heal then implant it. Less things can go wrong this way. The obvious one is migration.

Where are you considering this?

What size is the logo?

Is it in a spot where there will be less or no migration (spots you work less)?

Have you considered if you were to try and remove the tat?

Laser removal is the most effective and common route...could that damage the chip?

Maybe you want to cover that tat up instead. Now your back to the maybe it could be damaged by a needle or overzealous tattoo artist. Every one of them sets the needle a little differently so yes you get a similar outcome but it's not gonna be EXACTLY the same depth.

These are some things to try and consider.

Again the choice is ultimately yours and there really can't be a bad answer just things to consider.
  • The implant would go in the typical spot in my left hand between thumb and index finger.  I'd put the logo over that, and envision it being small, maybe 3/4" or so.

Good thoughts, thanks.

• Great idea, i had it aswell just before I got started with an xNT.

I've seen this kind of idea before and I would really think about if you want to tattoo on top of your xNT..

Why not slightly above it?
    Due to xNTs being really small, you mostly have to find a sweet spot on the NFC of  on any phone to get it to work perfectly.
    I've seen the NFC tattoo's mostly just "above" the xNT, slightly more towards the index fingerbone.

Maybe that's an idea, or maybe this will help you as an idea ( It's Tom from Utrecht )

• I have two implants under my left forearm. Both have pawprint tattoos on top of them to mark the location.

One of them was implanted after the tattoo was done, but the first was implanted before. I had no issue with tattooing over the implant. It did have a way of spreading the vibrating sensation, but didn't cause any issues.

I shared a little about it on this thread.
  • I like your idea. I think it wouldn't be so dangerous, but you'd better consult a doctor about it. Didn't you think to get something defferent? Like this for example?
  • No, I honestly have zero interest in tattoos in general.  This was an idea only because, well, the chip thing seems to shock people so much.  Might as well go all out with the whole branding thing.

The wife likes the idea (lots of tats and piercings herself), so it's a go.  I'm going to use the official NFC curved N logo.

• Cassox actually implanted a FlexNT on an individual under an existing tattoo - Personally, I find it a cool idea, however, doing that tat first and then the chip seems to be the common sense order.
  • Totally agree but getting inked first, then chipped if possible ... 
    However, I'm going to do the opposite for my NFC light implant. It was installed about five weeks ago; in another month I'm getting a tattoo of an abandoned Catholic girls school I called home on my arm over top of that device - hopefully nicely lined up so that I can turn a light on in one of the college windows, so to speak, when I operate my implant.
  • Got busy and didn't do anything until today.  Got the tattoo done, and booked the implant for three weeks from now when the tat is healed.

• I have tattoos over my NFC and biotherm implants with no issues at all. It feels very weird to get it done when the skin is thin over the implant, but it still works with no issues. But make sure to tell the artist before having it done so they don't try and push to hard.
  • Since I hadn't done either yet, I decided to just go the sure-safe route and do the tattoo first.  Both the artist and the implanter said it probably shouldn't matter, and agreed with what you said about telling the person doing it.

• Finally got the implant done.  Mine was his first, my wife's was second.  He did a good job, it's just where he planned it out.  It already works on our Samsung door lock.  

• I've placed implants under healed tattoos and alternatively I've had tattoos done over top of my existing healed implants. Most artists won't have experience in tattooing over implants, but it certainly can be done in some cases.

A few things to consider:

When tattooing properly and safely, the needles should not be penetrating the dermis deeply enough to come in contact with a subdermal implant. However, tissue thickness varies in different locations of the body and some artists may be heavy-handed. In the event of tattooing over an existing implant, extra care should be taken by the artist as to not go too deep and damage implant coatings.

The type of coating on your implant is also a factor to consider. Borosilicate will be more protected than silicone, but is not shatter-proof entirely.

If the implant is large in size and stretched the tissue above (as is the case with most implants for the purpose of 3D body art), that tissue above will be much more fragile. In this case, tattooing the tissue above the implant is much more risky. Max Yampolskiy has been creating larger 3D shapes with embedded technology, so this could come into play in those cases.

Use discretion as to how fragile the overlying tissue is and what coating you're dealing with before tattooing it. If you deem it safe enough, advise the artist of the details and have them proceed with caution.
  • Great advice.  Reading this response reminded me to make another post about how things are going.

The implant location was sore/sensitive for several days.  Nothing terrible, just minor irritation.  For about two weeks it was very sensitive to being hit or pressed on hard.  I'm a little surprise at how often I casually bump that part of my hand against something.  From a table or countertop edge to parts when I'm working on my Jeep and stuff like that.

The chip has migrated a bit over the last six weeks.  Not a big deal, it's no longer right under the N where it was first implanted, but closer to my thumb.  It's only barely sensitive, meaning that if pressed on I can feel that something is different, but I can't call it painful.  I can also feel it under the skin, and from certain angles you can see it.

Functionally, I've found two devices that don't work with it, but do work with other NFC/RFID cards/tags.  Both are cheap Chinese readers.  I'm guessing there's no way to fix that.  These readers do absolutely nothing when I scan my hand.  All the others beep, even if they are not programmed with my chip.

Also, I'm 51, so I heal slower than younger people.
  • Glad to see a thread with so much info!

I want to get a symbol tattoo on my shoulder like this:image

And I'd like to be able to unlock my phone plus anything else from an implant there.

Should I also look into implanting on my hand?
    I know holding my phone to my shoulder isn't the most efficient way to unlock my phone but it's aesthetically and thematically pleasing to me.

I might even (if I can) set it to not require the reader at all times because security isn't a huge issue for me.
    I just like the idea of the implant.
  • @Conchobear an implant in an arm right there would be bad. The read range on the nfc chips is pretty low and with that skin being thick I would say you would probably never be able to read it with any old nfc able phone.