Iontophoresis of topical anesthetics

Comments

• So, I've played around with topical anesthetics such as lidocaine. They work really well actually. Even at the higher concentrations though, it can take 1.5 to 2 hours to have enough of an effect to allow for a procedure. You basically slather up the area and then wrap it in stretch wrap.
    The length of time though prevents this method from being useful for much. I recently trialed lidocaine via iontophoresis. My goal was to obtain adequate anesthesia in less then twenty minutes. I used a 4 percent solution with 80mA/min. I tried this on three people. I found that twenty minutes wasnt long enough, however 30 was great. I'm going to be trialing higher percentages of lidocaine with 120mA/min and I'm sure we'll be able to get to the twenty minute goal.

I'll be doing a write up on this once I'm done.
  • Interesting
  • Yeah, I tried it again with 4 percent lido and 1percent DMSO and I still didn't get it down to 20 minutes. I'm waiting on some supplies to come in.
  • Hitting 20 minutes isn't necessary as long as you can manage to get a method that makes using lidocaine "user friendly" enough for inexperienced/impatient implanters.