Induction stove w/ magnet

edited May 2017 in Magnets
My family recently remodeled their kitchen, and with it, got an induction stove. For those who don't know, an induction stove uses spinning magnets to generate heat in magnetic pots and pans. So obviously, this made me curious what might happen with a magnet implant? First thing that comes to mind is that it would also begin to heat up. But does anybody have personal experience? Or know what would actually happen?
Thanks,
AmosKamal
Tagged:

Comments

• Induction stoves dont use magnets (as far as I'm aware), just just pass AC current through a coil, which creates a magnetic field which in return induces currents in the metal.

You would most definitively feel the magnetic field with a magnet, not sure if it would heat up though.
  • Ah my mistake. That sounds much more likely. I just find it an interesing scenario since magnets didn't react as were thought with MRI machines, so I was just curious. Thank you for the response
  • You can feel the buzzing of the heater kinda feels the same as a microwave but at a different frequency.
  • Ya with mine about... 10 inches away i can feel the current when its at 75% power. 

• So is it safe to cook with induction stove while having magnets in fingers? Do magnets heat up?

• I have a few magnet implants and have never had issues. I just tried it with a small magnet and a large magnet above and next to an induction cooktop for a few minutes with a cast iron pot as the load. Definitely felt vibrations but no heat buildup in the magnets at all.

My hypothesis is that while the induction cooktop does vibrate the field of the magnet, it does not produce a strong enough field to flip the polarity of a neodymium magnet. Therefore it does not impart any heat into the magnet, like it does for ferromagnetic materials with enough coercivity to have their poles flipped.

I also put together this video awhile ago for someone who was asking a similar question about RFID implants. It's not great but it might provide some useful information.
  • Thanks @Satur9 for the awesome video and explanation. Getting a vibration from cooktop is a plus! As long as it does not cook my flesh, I'll be happy with vibration.

• Something I've been reading about that's kind of related but not.. metal storm. It's like a gun system that fire tons of bullets out of a single packed barrel. The got something like 1 million rounds a minute. Lol. Anyhow they have induction coils around the barrels and ignite each round.
  • > @Satur9 said:
    > I have a few magnet implants and have never had issues. I just tried it with a small magnet and a large magnet above and next to an induction cooktop for a few minutes with a cast iron pot as the load. Definitely felt vibrations but no heat buildup in the magnets at all.
    >
    > My hypothesis is that while the induction cooktop does vibrate the field of the magnet, it does not produce a strong enough field to flip the polarity of a neodymium magnet. Therefore it does not impart any heat into the magnet, like it does for ferromagnetic materials with enough coercivity to have their poles flipped.
    >
    > I also put together this video awhile ago for someone who was asking a similar question about RFID implants. It's not great but it might provide some useful information.
    >
  • Did u make the tuning fork or buy it if so where could I get one!?!?
  • I just made it. I design RFID implants so I have some experience with this kinda stuff. I can explain how you would make one, but it's a bit complicated. Just let me know if that would interest you. Otherwise you can buy Diagnostic Cards and Field Testers that are kinda similar at Dangerous Things.