Grindfest 3

edited March 2017 in Community

Comments

• That falls on my birthday weekend and I am 1000% ok with getting to personally celebrate another survived rotation around this Sun with quality humans doing quality projects :D need to check with work but I'm almost positive I can work with this.
  • Works for me.... Reminds me I should request the time off...
  • Ok, I've tentatively updated the Auglim page with the new dates.
  • Not sure if I could really contribute much, but the change would bring it after my finals so I could technically attend.
  • Nice! So far it's better for everyone. Its cool. Contributions are appreciated of course, be it projects, talks, money, whatever.. But not mandatory at all. Just come out and have fun.

Also, more info on grindfest can be found at augmentationlimitless.com

There's a link at the top of the page.
  • Bringing booze is mandatory lol.
  • So I'm really working on the planning stage now. Anyone who wants to be a planner etc. please jump on the Slack Boards. Also, I'm going to have to figure out the Paintball gun situation. I'm considering having a dude come out with the guns and do CO2 refills etc. It's a tad pricey though.. so if we go this route there will have to be deposits made. I'll have more information on the deposits thing on the EVENTBRITE page.

Any ideas? Who's going to need to rent a gun? It seems like rental, including balls and gas and mask run about 50$. A little more for the guys time too. So who needs a gun? Does anyone have extras? Do people want to switch over to making it an Airsoft event instead?
  • Ok as a possible alternative look at these:

http://www.ansgear.com/JT_US_50_Semi_Auto_Paintball_Pistol_Green_p/jtus50pistolgreen.htm

Semi-auto CO2 cylinder driven Paintball guns. It would probably be cheaper to get a bunch of these. So if you don't arrange your own paintball gun.. you still get to play but it's with a shitty gun. Lol. Sound fair?

Also, if we did do some head-to-head 1 on 1 type games.. it would be fun to have people be totally equilized in terms of equipment. Any ideas?
  • edited March 2017
    A western duel shootout style competition might be interesting and fun! (Maybe there's something we could test in regarding reaction times, too?)
  • Yeah. I think I'm going with the crap pistols instead of the service. It's going to be cheaper and we can keep them to make into something else I have an idea for. If this was some seriously competitive thing it would matter.. but come on.
  • holy crap this sounds amazing
  • The Eventbrite page is live. Please sign up as it helps us to plan food volume etc. Also, the event isn't 60 bucks. You don't need to pay to come. The 60 buck option is so that you can have a paintball gun and supplies set up for you when you get here. Also, please share this junk on your social media accounts and whatnot. It'd be nice to get a large turnout.
  • I just had an idea. Lots of people keep emailing.. yet few ever use the sign up on ever Brite even though it has a free option. I was trying to come up with an incentive. Next year what if I did charge something. Like 30 bucks.. the point would be that I could make up a bag of swag for participants... Thoughts?
  • I'll be driving down from San Francisco, probably that Thursday pm or Friday am. If anyone needs a ride I have a couple open seats. 
  • Oh my god this sounds amazing, I wish I could make it, but work and all that. what all is going to be there, project wise I mean.

~~BLUB~~
  • It's getting mighty close. Hey, airsoft is ok too btw.
  • Hey guys, I'm flying into LAX from Dallas at 6:00 PM on Friday. Is anyone free to give me a ride down?
  • It's in two days! Everyone is excited. We've a bunch of cool stuff planned, but it's the people that make Grindfest awesome. There is food, crash space and an endless supply of interesting ideas. 

See everyone soon!
  • So the place that I was going to rent paintball equipment from went out of business :/ Is it too late to get on the cheapo equipment train? 

Worst case we can just swing by a target or something and pick up a crappy set. 
  • Try to grab something if you can. We are already in a shortage.
  • It's been insane already. We have two days left. Wow
  • How did it go?
  • Any news guys?
  • I can't vouch for everyone, but I had a blast. I think it was great to get out with everyone and bond. My only critique is that we didn't really get around to brainstorming, projects and community planning. Blame it on my poor understanding of how time works. I'm going to emphasize projects next year.
  • Thanks everyone for helping pull this together. Special thanks to Lurker and Cyberlass who worked their assess off.
  • Thanks for hosting Cass! Is there a good place to dump photos from the event?
  • I think bird was working on it. I'd love to have some for my site. I'll figure it out.
  • edited May 2017
    Here's a photo Dump of the pics and vids I took! Includes the raw footage as well as some stuff I artfully prodded at

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0BeBrCDu_kkNHc2Q1RBeTlwRm8

(also got the pretty ones separated out and uploaded here, if you wanna share but want a link instead of needing to download/upload https://www.flickr.com/photos/147466274@N03/albums/72157683337810955 )

I might be touching up a few more and adding them as time goes on, but this is the bulk of my stuff
  • Cool pix @BirdMachine. Thanks for sharing! I wish I could come... I will be back in the US during this time next year and it would be fun to come see what is going on live!

What is happening in some of those procedure shots? There are multiple holes being punched into arms and something that is happening to the knees/lower legs. Were those implants? Preprocedures for something else?

And who is the person to avoid in the dark with a paintball gun?

Thanks for sharing!