Plasma, Magnetrons and sputter coating things

So this video has been a long time in the works. I've been working on plasma systems and magnetrons for a while now. The magnetron was meant to be used to coat magnets in titanium nitride. Suffice it to say, getting these to actually do that is a massive pain, but not impossible. I outlined the basics in this video LINK and will be doing another once I get a little more footage. Covers everything from building high voltage systems to working with vacuums. Hope you enjoy and find it useful :)

Comments

• Nice video.  I look forward to updates on this.  I especially liked the Scariac.  I see that you used baking soda instead of the drain cleaner that Grant Thompson's video called for.
  • Thanks :) ya baking soda is my go too electrolyte now. It's almost as effective as hydroxide by way easier to handle and also produces no noxious fumes. 
  • edited April 2017
    Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but do you cover tubes that produce X-Rays? It'd be cool to experiment with shorter wavelength output. 

On a slightly off-topic note, do you have any idea what would happen if you were to direct a microwave beam from a 1000 Watt magnetron at an electrical arc from a neon sign transformer? Aside from a high likelihood of killing yourself, of course.
  • anything over 10kv will produce xrays. The video specifically doesn't go into that cause that's a whole level of danger higher. I'll cover that the next time I build a system and feel like going for fusion. 

I can't think of anything really. What's the point of that?
  • Mostly interested in the effects of microwaves/radio waves on a plasma that was already in existence.
  • might make it more intense but beyond that I can't imagine much. There are totally ways to manipulate plasma using microwaves, but they require some more careful setup and usually still require a vacuum
  • @Chironex, you got featured on Hackaday! Congrats! 
  • That's some Allessendro Volta level stuff right there!

That home made liquid potentiometer/transformer is also genius.