What is the general aim while implanting a magnet into the fingertip?

edited February 2015 in Magnets
A lot of you out there have magnetic implants. What I'm wondering is if there are any guidelines when implanting them? Are we aiming for a specific nerve cluster? How far from the surface is optimal? Is there any tissue clusters that I should avoid slicing while implanting? I feel like a lot of people are just shoving magnets into their fingers, without regard to the anatomy of the area. Are there any more... technical descriptions of the operation? The last thing I want to do is perform surgery on myself without knowing the idea behind it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Judging by the lack of answers, I'd say most of us aren't in a position to find out.  I know that Kevin Warwick is doing some tests on magnet implanters right now, and he has all the proper equipment/knowledge/access to knowledge to answer anything about it, if you can get him to respond.  Unfortunately biohacking was formed to a degree as a response to the highly theoretical nature of transhumanism, born from those not afraid to just go out and do it.

But I'll try to answer based on what I've read, and I will be posting a implantation thread/video when I do mine next week or so.

You want the magnets to be just below the surface of the skin in the center of the pad.  I don't know the names of nerve clusters, but pricking yourself seems to indicate that is the most sensitive spot to place it.  Depth limits the magnetic sense, as the magnet is further from the nerves.  As for how to implant it, well, just avoid any blood vessels and you will be fine.  I'm going to be using an RFID injector for my implants, so the actual procedure will be much more minimal than when using a scalpel.

There isn't much technical information on this stuff yet because it wasn't born of a highly technical environment.  But really, the procedure is simple enough that that isn't an issue.  Most magnets are going to be large enough that even if you don't hit the right nerve cluster head on, you'll still cover it.  My 7mm implants will cover most of the length of my pinky's first joint, for example.

How about this: if you do it, take careful measurements of all the variables that go into it.  That way the community has access to it all, too.
  • @teddythewig: Nobody is just shoving magnets into their fingers, lol. There are 2...possibly 5 places where there are enough nerve endings for this magnet thing to work:
    Fingertips
    Genitals
    The body modification community has tried implanting these in countless other places, but the sensations were too weak. Another places that might work is under a toenail. Some have speculated that the lips might work as well, but I don't know if anyone has tried it. I glued a magnet just below my earlobe on my jaw and could feel the sensation.

Putting a magnet in your finger allows you to stretch your hand out and feel vibrations. Putting your toes, lips, jaw, or genitals up to an object might look strange.

The "target nerve" is more like a cluster of nerves. the size of the magnet pretty much assures that it will be snuggled against the cluster. There is only one depth. That depth happens to be under the skin and against the bone. Too shallow and the implant won't stay in.
  • Cool! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I didn't at all mean to sound like I was looking down on the way people are going about doing this. I guess more what I'm saying is that there is no harm to following the scientific method. You can still be a "hacker" on the bleeding(pun intended) edge of transhuminism, but that shouldn't stop you from forming a hypothesis, and having a standard set of measurements. I think that to take this from the fringe where it unarguably is now, to mainstream, we have to have data to support our position. How will we know what the best placement, magnet strength, or orientation might be if we aren't all recording these things and sharing the data?
  • If you're looking for scientific data: have you read the Warwick group paper on the magnets?
    Re: positioning: you just need to get the magnet somewhere movement induced by a magnetic field impinging on it will be felt. The fingers are very rich in mechanoreceptors, so that's where it goes. There's no "nerve cluster." This is why Lepht's positioning advice for multiple magnets in one hand works.
  • That was an awesome read, thank you unqualified. I'm fairly new to this scene so I guess I'm just not aware of all the stuff out there yet. In case anyone else hasn't read this paper yet, I would highly recommend it! http://www.scribd.com/doc/60163195/A-Novel-Human-Machine-Interface-Using-Subdermal-Magnetic-Implants
    I believe that if everyone on this forum made the effort into meticulously documenting their implants, we could move so much faster. I just saw the DolphinNose and I just have to say, thanks guys for making it open source.