Brainstorming a possible injector for NFC implants, and maybe other implants as well

13»

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Can any one second that?

@chrisbot
    I gave myself a tattoo with out cleaning shit, the immune system is stronger than given credit.... (I don't consider that a achievement....) You said you were nervous when you implanted your magnet do to the size of the needle, would a shorter needle have made you feel better?
  • Someone please spot check me, but that is IIRC. Please call me out if I'm wrong. ^^

That 70%/4% is the same ratio mix that I believe is included by Cyberize/Dangerous Things to sterilize magnets pre-implantation... 

The immune system is very... Human. <3 It can be incredibly powerful at times, when it needs to be, and certainly outperform expectations. But sometimes it gets lazy or just kinda goofs up.
  • edited September 2016
    Fair enough.... Did y'all use 2 or 4% solution?
  • @JohnDoe, I did soak it for about an hour or so. Also, the length and angle attack of the needle made it a bit more destructive than I would have liked. I can go into more depth on the other injection thread if you would like to know more!
  • Yes please...
  • edited November 2016
    (Copied from a previous thread, sorry for repeat)

This is the most recent discussion on flexible NFC tags (relativity speaking) so I figured that I would post these pictures here. Keep in mind that this is just the first iteration to get the basic concept down. I will be refining a few things in the next version. 

This would be used in places like the arm or the back of the hand. It would be pushed under the skin breaking the connective tissue, and then a friend with a probe would push down on the implant through the slot as you retract it out from under you skin. The implant would be left in place as the spatula is withdrawn. I understand that there are some issues surrounding this method, so I would love some input on design!

I was thinking about making the front a little more tapered to help push through the tissue. 

• Iteration number 2. This time all of the wall thickness has been decreases slightly, and a taper has been added to the tip of the implement to help break through the connective tissue. However, due to the complex geometry this one will take some more tuning in order to achieve an acceptable level of quality. 

So far one of the biggest issues that I have encountered is the fact that the implant is very very sticky. In other words it doesn't nicely slide out of the slot, even if I lubricate it with saline. I am thinking about a way to design in a plunger that could be operated with one hand. 

As always I am very open to thoughts and suggestions. Do you guys think I'm on the right track? 

• edited November 2016
    Moving discussion from other thread here. As mentioned in the other thread, I think you're on the right track and using a spatula-like tool and second probe (pictured below) worked very well for implanting a flexible nfc in my hand.

When we used these there was enough blood on the implant already and just in general to take care of the lubrication issue. Is there any way you could drill a hole in the back so some sort of probe/plunger could hold the implant in from behind while you withdraw the spatula? I'm just worried that inserting a probe into the slot from above will tent the skin a lot and also require the implant to be closer to the incision site.

• @rpyka, That's actually the exact idea that I had. 

In the next iteration I am going to add some sort of plunger system. I may even attempt to make it operable with one hand to remove the need for an assistant. That seems to be an issue occasionally. 
  • Update time. I added a plunger and I think that this might be the final version! I just need to tweak some of the print settings and dimensions and then it should be good for the final version. I will also post the link to thingiverse once I get the chance. I also have the solidworks files if any one is interested. I plan on using either this Monday or Tuesday! Isn't 3D printing great?

• Why not design it around the current injectors but with a flat side "needle" like you currently already have but without the weirdness of the slant up and slot and all of those things.
  • edited November 2016
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but the slant to me seems like it would make it a lot easier to inject if you're doing it on your own. having a straight injector would force you to contort your hand into a quite uncomfortable position to keep the tip in the right place.
  • edited November 2016
    I'm not sure I understand, do you mean making an attachment for an actual injector, or designing it to look more like a traditional injector? 

Would you mind sketching it for me? 

@AmosKamal, that's exactly why I made it like that!