Looking for an M31 or the like

edited October 2015 in Magnets
So very recently I became interested in implanting a small magnet in my hand, and I looked around, but I really didn't find any coatings that seemed to have no negative bodily effects (all rejections seem to be user error or incompatibility, the TiN coating seems to have a very very low change of actually damaging tissues.)

That said, the dangerousthings site hasn't been selling them for a while. I want to know if there is anywhere I can obtain an N52 TiN coated magnet, M31 or similar. 

I'd appreciate any help. This will be a self implant.
Tagged:

Comments

• you've come at sort of a weird inbetween time. There was a problem with the manufacture of the magnets so that's cut that supply line. Theres a few different people myself included working on alternatives. Your best bet is to wait a while while things get sorted out. Or go for a shitty alternative, but honestly the wait should be worth it.
  • I just resparked my interest in body mods after talking with a friend. I'm still very keen on implanting an m31, I think an m36 would probably be too big.

Are there any left over m31's I can buy? Or when dangerousthings will be back in stock again?
  • @chase561, check out the sticky thread at the top of the forum
  • I just did. I'm a little disappointed, oh well.

Can any of you guys vouch for steve haworth's magnets? At this point I'm just interested in actually getting a magnet, and that is the most promising. They're ridiculously expensive but I'd do it out of desperation. 

The silicone coated ones on stevehaworth.com
  • People have mixed opinions on them because they are autoclaved. They are implant ready and they are expensive. If you are that eager you can't go wrong it's a lot better then some of the other things people are discussing here.

Basicly you have three choices I know of Steve's, Alex's, amal's. All three are implantable and Steve is (i believe) the only autoclaved. The others are sterilized by other means that will not take away some of the magnetism.
  • Are alex or amal selling? I'd be willing to work out a deal for one of these with either of them. 
  • They will be. They are in testing. I'm not sure of the status of amal's though. Check out the sticky for a etc for Alex's.
  • My Haworth magnet has outperformed my m31 every single time. They were implanted by the same piercing artist who had experience installing magnets.
    My m31 lost its magnetism after a year and it's far less comfortable since my body formed a callous around it. My Haworth floats freely under thin, pliable skin.
    I've had the Haworth magnet longer than any other implant.

• edited September 2016
    Yours lost magnetism too? Interesting! Mine did as well, though I don't see any signs of a breach. Still trying to get around to pulling it, but I have the chemical compounds to test for any breaches after. My paralines, which I got some time before, have also stood up pretty well and continue to serve me well. 

I'm wondering where the loss of magnetism is coming from. My sides (between Distal and Proximal palmer creases) have been installed for longer, and aren't terribly far away from my index finger, so I'm not sure simply 'repeated use' is the culprit. 
  • Thanks guys, it sounds like the haworth isn't too bad. I think I'll buy one. I appreciate the opinions and posts :D
  • @BirdMachine, it was disappointing when it stopped working. At first, I was convinced the coating had failed because I felt unusual symptoms but that turned out to be a common cold. I'm convinced the coating is intact.
    Proteus suggested that I try to remagnetize it by rubbing a strong magnet over the surface repeatedly. Has anyone done a remagnetization in vivo?

• Yea I definitely can't pick up a paperclip with my m31 like I could when first implanted, I attributed it to migration and scar tissue from the procedure, let me know if you take yours out I definitely feel it could have lost some strength it's great otherwise
  • how do these magnets loose their magnetism? has anyone tested after removing them? or they decay in the body because of the failure of the coating

• So I eventually pull mine last month, and it turns out it had in fact breached. A while ago too judging by how it looked. Things have been a little hectic since so I hadn't had time to get the pics together for a post yet but, I probably should/could soon.

• @BirdMachine How bad was it when you pulled it? It felt normal other than the loss of magnetism?

• It was pretty bad. Here's some pics of it, after I started cleaning off a layer of flesh that bubbled it up https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0BeBrCDu_kkUXVVY25zcW51WTQ It had lost magnetism a bit over a year ago by that point I think, and while it was dark and raised it never actually pushed all the way out through the skin. Never hurt, no signs of poisoning.

It almost looks like it was damaged somehow, but I can't recall impacting it at all. I've had mystery injuries before so I won't rule it out, though.

• Oh god that does look a little rough. When you say it was dark, you mean darker than the new M31s? And it does look like it'd been damaged, but you'd think TiN wouldn't be so fragile. I get paranoid that the coating on mine has ruptured and it's concerning that sometimes there are so few signs.