Injecting Neodymium Implants?
So I've just stumbled across this stuff by chance, and I think it's amazing. I'm looking to do this myself as soon as I figure out the best way to go about it.
I'm wondering if there is any reason people aren't talking about simply injecting the magnets, as opposed to opening up the epidermis and jamming the thing into the fresh wound. Or maybe using a catheter/cannula? Dunno if they make them big enough, though.
I was looking at grabbing $50 worth of these things, the 3mm ones. Would alcohol work to sterilise these things? I'm worried about the alcohol possibly damaging the coating. Also, would a spot of superglue be sufficient to close the wound?
It's too bad, too, since I'd love a less painful way to do this.
alternatively. you should be able to pull the magnet through the needle using a another magnet. once in place gently pull out the needle.
gravity itself might not be enough to pull the magnet out. but aside from that, the general idea is ok.
Be sure to account for bleeding, the blood will go into the needle. So you will definetly need something to push the magnet in while not damaging the coating. I think that another magnet to pull it in will not do the trick
Microchip implanters (like the one here http://www.peddymark.com/shop/?departmentID=11) might be a better move, as they have a little rod to gently push the magnet out.
Rasputin - as for the coating making the magnets bigger than 2.12mmID, I'm pretty sure the coating is included in the 2mm diameter.
given the magnets are for use in labs and the like where such a thing as precise diameter would (presumably) matter, i think we can safely say they're 2mm, period.
Ghost - 8gauge is too big, you'll just end up with the magnet rattling around in the sharp, and more tissue damage than necessary. go the 12g. also, that's why microchip implanters are a good idea, they push it out with a little rod, so you can remove the syringe and poke the magnet out at the same time. less tissue damage, as the magnet is not having to push against tissue and try to push it aside as it is implanted.
EDIT: Oh yeah, I plan on using a topical numbing cream to help with the pain. People use numbing creams for tattoos, so I figure it should be ok for this, so long as I clean the area before I stick myself.
such a lovely way of putting it.
Seriously though, good luck and keep us posted!
what if one was to inject the magnet inside the finger well away from the entry hole (i'm thinking at least 10mm from entry hole to placement) then, to prevent the magnet migrating back through the little tunnel it was injected down, either tape/glue a *weak* magnet to the outside of your finger to hold the one inside your finger in place (but not such a strong one that it would cause it to migrate through the tissue) or, alternatively, put something around the finger tight/snugly to close up the tunnel. I'm thinking like some micropore tape or similar. not too tight, as we want to keep blood flowing, but tight enough to prevent the magnet slipping past it.
It is the ones closer to the incision that require special attention. But personally I suture all just so I won't have to worry.