Implanting Soon, a few questions
Hello everyone, it is a pleasure to join this community!
Ever since I first heard of magnet implants I knew I wanted to get one, and I will be implanting mine in a week or so. I wanted to quickly detail my procedure in the hopes that if I am doing anything wrong, or there is a better way, one of you can kindly let me know. I have read through the wiki and some of the forums to familiarize myself with the procedure, and purchased this magnet (http://www.gaussboys.com/store/index.php/d04010g-n52.html) as well as the necessary surgical supplies to implant it. I have preformed surgery on myself before so I am fairly acquainted with the process, and I feel comfortable with implanting my magnet. I will put it in the inside edge of my left ring finger, ideally about half way through to sit the magnet in the middle of the finger. Additionally I will use butterfly closures to seal the wound.
I plan to get my magnet plated in rhodium in addition to the gold, as most jewelers are able to do this (a standard for white gold rings) and I think they wouldn't mind plating a magnet. I choose rhodium because it is much more rigid and solid than gold, and it is also an inert and bio neutral material so shouldn't have any problem in my body. However if I cannot get my magnet plated in rhodium I plan to implant it anyway.
I will also test several magnets for implant in a strong saltwater solution, in order to make sure the coating is intact.
That aside, my questions are:
Will butterfly closures suffice to seal the wound? Or should I also use superglue? My concern with superglue is that it prevents the wound from breathing which will seal in any bacteria infecting the wound and prevent the body's natural reaction of pushing them out.
Is rhodium safe for implantation in the body? I can't find much information about this. I have no metal allergies or anything else that makes me think it would be unsafe.
Will the rhodium coating process demagnetize the magnet significantly? I know that the solutions used are heated but I am not really sure to what degree (though some sources say only 50C). I do not know at what temperature the magnet will begin to become demagnetized.
If I can't get the magnet plated in rhodium, is it safe to implant it with only the gold coating? The coating layer is, per specification, 20 microns thick and I will test the coating in the saline solution. I will also be very careful when handling the magnet before the implant, not allowing it to come into contact with metal.
Is the placement of the magnet (N/S) important? I figure it doesn't matter, but I am not really sure.
Thanks for reading, I will update with how my procedure goes and some pictures. I might even make a video!
Until then, greetings from Germany!