Surgery Box (A Proposition for Better Sterilization)

So, after reading through some implant stories and the "Standard Magnet Implantation Procedure" page, I was troubled by a certain aspect of the guide. 
"It cannot be stressed enough that a sterile workspace is essential for ANY implantation procedure. ... an area to rest your hand during the procedure, an area to keep your tools, and an area to safely discard used tools, and that all 3 must be sterile. ... a room where airflow can be blocked. ...  non-carpeted hard floor and minimal or no fabric furnishings such as couches or drapes."

I thought about where I could go that matched these criteria, and couldn't think of anywhere that would be available to me. I also have no intention to go to a piercer, as none live near me that have even heard of implanting magnets. (Besides, I want to learn how to implant things myself.) So, I thought about it and eventually came up with the idea of building a box out of something like plexiglass to contain the process. For particles and fibers in the air, it would be possible to mount a fan with a filter on it, sucking air from the box and blowing it back in (for a closed system). As well, it would be possible to spray a mist of a sterilizing fluid before and/or during the implant procedure. For the actual procedure, it seems like it would work to attach gloves to one side for the implanter to use, as in this box:

It seems that it would be best to either use disposable sterile gloves to mount on the box (Which I haven't been able to find as of yet) or a silicone/rubber aperture to stick arms through, like this:

imageimage

It If one is operating on their own hand/arm, they would only need the two apertures on one side, or, if on someone else, two apertures on their side an one on the opposite side.

To prep for an implant, the box would be opened and scrubbed to sterilize the inside. (One face would open on a hinge, with a lock to hold it down, and would have rubber or the like around the edges so as to seal the space between it and the rest of the box.) Then, all materials would be placed inside (for ice, I think it would work to put the ice in a thermos and then pour it in a bucket when needed), and the air filtering system would be activated, along with the sterilizing mist. The box would be left to sit for a while. I don't have access to an air particle counter, so I have no idea how long it would need to be left, but 15-45 minutes sounds like enough. Everyone would scrub their hands with chlorohexidine, etc., put on gloves, and then stick their hands inside of the box. From there, they would use the equipment already inside to complete the implant procedure, leaving the air filter on. I'm not sure whether a mist of sterilizing fluid would be a good thing or a bad thing during implantation, so I'd like your opinions on that.

So, does this sound like it would work? Is it needed? Would any of you be interested in this? I would be happy to prototype one, use it, and then sell a kit if anyone would like that. I just don't like the idea of people sitting in garages with open air and getting infected. However, this all may be overkill. Any feedback is appreciated. -Vatrat

Edit: This does seem like it would be a bit expensive, especially the apertures, but those can be approximated with much cheaper materials.
Tagged:

Comments

• Apertures:

Gray tri-flap, single, for 10" diameter port
    Clear many-flap, pair, 6" diameter
  • Well I think it would be useful for a lot of things. In terms of surgery though it's overkill. You can decrease the amount of bacteria in skin but you can never make it truly sterile. As counter intuitive as it seems, a bathroom or kitchen is adequate assuming you use a shit load of bleach. The types of procedure that are generally being preformed are of the caliber that would be done at the bedside in a hospital. If we were performing brain or thoracic surgery I'd agree with more extreme measures.
  • edited July 2016
    Ok, thanks. I have some plans later on to do a much larger implant in the arm, either upper or lower, and might need to have multiple parts with a flexible part connecting them. This would most likely require a pair of incisions to pull the implant through, and may take much more time to implant. Would you say that something like this (perhaps much smaller, sitting around the limb) would be good to have?