Social reaction to implants

2»

Comments

• While I dont have any implants YET anyone who has read this over my shoulder or who i have thought of to talk to has given me the "nice conspiracy alien lover, now go put back on your tin foil hat" response (typically). My dad has gone so far as to call it a fad and a phase that our indie society will soon pass. Whats after this though? We do everything from plastic surgery to implanting vibrators and tags for various reasons. What could possibly be after this, besides new and improved versions of the same idea? Alien conspirators have always existed. And so will we.  
  • Man, makes me thankful for my parents reaction.  My mom won't get a bionic ear until I do though.  -_-
  • I tossed on the MTV episode - I'm a Cyborg. It worked since you saw me in the clip for a few seconds. The parents seemed weirded out about it, so I didn't share. Problem solved lol. My new gf seems cool about it - she's actually interested in getting a magnet or an RFID since I use a custom RFID/Arduino solution for access to my house.
  • Hey everybody, thank you so much for the replies to this post and I'm sorry for responding so late. I don't mean to bring this back, but I felt bad for never getting back to after posting. I've read through all the replies, but I'll just post a brief response for now.

After my first night trying to show off the implant, I realized I may have been going about things wrong for the context I was in. The idea of an implant shocks and makes people wary when brought up straight away. We tend to be skeptical when asked "wanna see something crazy? " especially when it pertains to something as intimate as our phones. I found that gradually bringing it up after some conversation and getting a feel for someone's receptiveness really helps. Being able to reassure someone that you won't do anything harmful and explaining exactly what you are doing tends to help as well. Sometimes I will just demonstrate on my phone and then answer any questions they have, usually acknowledging how strange it is and explaining that I did this on my own volition to expose others to new and exciting technology.

And you guys are right, the audience makes a huge difference. Those who are religious tend to have very standoffish reactions, which is to be expected. I should also mention that I have yet to tell my parents about the implant, as I feel they may not be ready to process it. One of the common reactions I get is "that's pretty cool, but if never get one," and that's fine with me. I enjoy spaying the word and showing people this exists. I don't like to rub it in people's faces, but I'm proud to be on the forefront of this technology and I think it helps when you can convey this sort of confidence.

Thank you again everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll continue to follow this post and may add some more specific replies after re-reading your comments.