Single-component UV curing epoxy applications

While browsing Masterbond's products I stumbled across this one:

It's advertised as coating/glue
Pros: 
-is single-component (no mixing of two parts)
-UV-cures within seconds
-it has a high viscosity ( together with the fast coating it may be possible to 3D print it?)
-can be autoclaved repeatedly and it's not cytotoxic. 
-cures up to ~6mm thickness 

Cons:
-It does not come with full >30day implant suitability rating.

It may not come with the required implant-grade rating but if it turns out to be still safe to use it as such, it may open up a bunch of uses.

As it cures in thick layers and bonds to a lot of materials (including stainless steel) it could be used for implants with exposed stainless steel electrodes (such as implanted clocks/pagers/buzzers etc). Not sure how well it does as magnet coating but as application and curing is easy, one could coat the magnet while having it suspended mid-air in a magnetic field (building an apparatus to levitate a magnet is easy after all). So no 2-side processing and seams. Last but not least the curing speed and viscosity make it tempting enough to try 3D-Printing it. Extruding it via a stainless steel needle and curing under UV LED light right on the spot may be an option.

Question is: Anyone has any experience with this or similar epoxy? How difficult and expensive is it to get hands on it?

Comments

• Also interesting: neutral humidity curing silicone type http://www.masterbond.com/tds/mastersil-912med
  • I think I spoke to master bond about this stuff and couldn't get them to send me any. I'll try again.
  • If this stuff has any resemblance to the product Bondic (which I fully regard to not be the same thing, but from description it sounds at least similar), I would take my first guess and say it's probably going to be along the same lines of sugru in terms of home-preformed coatings. My honest two cents of 'Will it work'

Bondic isn't a bad product... My own personal experience sees it to be MUCH too fragile for any mechanical load-bearing use, it isn't nearly as structural as cyanoacrylate superglues... It's bond fails under fractions of the same stress. >~<

I'll revert back to what I have said before, Bondic is really cool, but not for anything that needs any structurability. If you are sculpting a statue it's nice,but i've accidently had keychains with parts held together fall apart just being on my key ring for a day.  D:>

I know internal stresses don't work QUITE like that, but making a sturdy coating... I would probably try a properly coated Au magnet over a Bondic magnet. :s

Hope this helps ^^

Again, Not sure about Masterbond's, but If it's like Bondic, I wouldn't personally touch a magnet with it with a ten foot stick. >~<
  • edited June 2016
    thanks for the feedback. I was not aware of Bondic yet. There are great differences in terms of properties for uv-curing glues/coatings so there's a good chance Bondic simply doesn't fit the bill.

Looking further into the topic I also noticed Henkel/Loctite offer quite the range of products for medical application.
    Was able to find one of those in an onlineshop in small quantities:
    judged from the numbers that stuff cures into a rubbery/elastic that's supposed to adhere to metal. Datasheet reads it was designed to be used to glue the needles into thee plastic connectors.

Btw my primary application would be to encapsule smallish electronic modules with stainless steel electrodes, my coating thickness would probably be ~1mm. Ofc magnets are of interest,too.

Talking about cyanoacrylates, Henkel/Loctite has some medical-grade rated cyanoacrylat based products too. Their numbers suggest they are a lot harder and way less flexible. Just in case that's favorable for magnets, some of their products have very low viscosity (around the level of blood).
  • You should for sure be able to 3D print it with SLA You might have to change the print speed to expose the resin for a little longer, but I don't see any issue with that. So if you wanted you would be able to do all kinda of weird and fun shapes
  • @ThomasEgi Theres a couple of light activated resin based 3d printers on the market. They'd be perfect for this kind of material especially as they tend to focus on very small ver high detail prints. I think one on kickstarter was like $100 and used a mobile phone as the light source (possibly not suitable for UV activated resin)

• I looked up that little $100 Olo and it's pretty cool. I liked the idea of being able to send other Olo users a secret gift print that they only see after it's done printing. If I had the money, I'd get one for every member of my family and then send them weird prints all the time.

Also, resin printers are clearly sorcery.
  • Awesome sauce(ery) !