Who wants smaller magnetic implants?

Comments

• I spoke with Rich of BJA Magnetics. He might have a few n50 samples around he can send. If they work, I'll see about setting up a Kickstarter for 150 of the n52's.
  • edited March 2012
    "The closest we have are .3Ø x 2.5 (you can cut/break these to shorter size) or a 2Ø x .5mm in N50."

Going by this needle gauge comparison chart, am I right in saying a 12 gauge could fit the 2Ø?
  • edited March 2012
    Has it been considered that the magnetic field of the magnet inside the steel hypodermic needle might be too strong to be pushed out with any low viscosity liquid?
  • Time to build a hypodermic Gauss gun? (",)
    There are ways and means...
  • hm. one idea that struck my mind recently on the irc channel was to sorta get a lot of tiny magnets, each one coated already, and then mold them into medical grade silicone into any shape/size required.

this way one would get a somewhat elastic type of implant, that is no longer prone to breaking. difficult to manufactor tho.

the 2⌀mm sounds fine. getting the magnet out is one thing ( as you could simply push it out with a stick ) . but doing so and making sure it wont touch the sharp edge of the needle itself is another challenge. maybe by using a bigger magnet outside the finger to pull it straight out into the tissue?
  • Hi! I'm new here, I'm thinking to have an magnetic implant soon, but I'm Italian and I don't know where to do it. If you organize a group-buy I'm in :D
  • hm. while browsing an online shop for chemistry lab equipment. i stumpled across 2mm⌀ stirring magnets. 2 or 5mm long. they go for 1.6€ and 1.8€ each. in 10pcs bags. the ptfe coating looks pretty thick and solid from the pics. those might not be the strongest magnets, but it would be a trade-off if it works out.
    with a bit of luck, they fit into a gauge 12 needle used for implanting rfid tags into animals. those are pretty easy to use applicators that also have a mechanism to push out the magnet/tag.
    guess it is time to get some of them. crack them open to see how thick the coating is, and check if they fit the applicator.
  • Hi,

I might have a good news for you, i'm willing to buy up front those 150 magnet if

They "work", more I'm also willing to give them away too, (not the shiping cost, and not in large number, i don't want to sponsore someone else buisness)

But I have no problem to help someone getting his implent for free ;)

My motivation, is that first this is kinda dream come true, i read the story on a blog yesterday, And I could not belive it, i was so happy and exsited....

Anyway, if they can be injected under the skin and if they work I'm in...
    If not i'm sure we coyld find something that does and i will be on it too...

Please let me know...

(ps sorry to butcher the english, I'm french...)
  • about the magnets i mentioned earlier, i have to put my order on hold due to work.
    if anyone else is interested http://www.bola.de/en/products/stirring-and-mixing/details/kapitel/10/kategorie/40/num/C__350_00/ext/detail.html?cHash=08c8b20caf9e3b4d7b2b423b02a8fabc
    they are a bit weaker than neodym magnets, but they are high-quality lab-equipment , teflon coated, and even have FDA conformity. the 5mm long, 2mm diameter version should fit into the rfid-tag applicators and ease up implantation a lot.
    they have a minimum order of 50 euros and dont sell to private persons.
    one magnet is bout 1€50
    all in all, a very promising find if i may add that. if there's a group buy, i'd be in for 8 or 10
    if noone has a registered company, i can ask a friend of mine to order for me. given there are enough people willing to try those magnets out.
  • Any known issues with teflon coatings? Whats the decay or scratch chance with teflon? Also would you be willing to send to Americans?
  • teflon (PTFE) is very commonly used in medical application (including implants) and offers excellent biocompatibility.
    about decay: it is very stable ( below 260°C ).
    scratching depends on the coating thickness. given those things are designed as highest quality stirring magnets that are supposed to spin around at high speeds on a surface.. that should be not much of an issue.
    just for safety i'd cut open one of the magnets and see how thick the ptfe wall really is. unless you forcefully scratch it befor implantation that "should" be no issue at all.

sending to america would be no problem.
  • Theoretical concept: what about a magnetic powder contained in a bioproofed container that was highly resistant to strain? If it's packed to the brim there wouldn't be an "air bubble" issue, and it cuold potentially solve the impact trauma fears.

This is obviously something of a far-fetched dream but still.
  • Only issue I can think of is that if you get a leak, uh oh, you just got powder delivered right to the blood.  
  • And I suppose magnetic pieces that are just larger than the capillaries are probably too large to prevent air in the container, is that correct?

I suppose if it was set in a vacuum - I am proposing this as a huge theoretical obviously. I think this is the kind of thing that you'd need equipment to produce. So it's just a discussion thing.
  • I was thinking more of a leak in the actual material your using to bio-proof though while inside of the body. It's a good idea if you can find a near unbreakable material that a typical human would put it through. I really think that using already bio-proofed small magnets encased in another bio-proof material is the best way to go. 
  • I'd be in for a few, maybe 4 or 6.

Sigiel, are you serious about fronting the cost and sending them out with the only cost being shipping? Because I'd be very interested in that if you were!
  • @Sigiel Thank you, that's a very generous offer. We can't know for sure that these magnets will work well, because no one has tried them yet. But we know that larger magnets work, and smaller magnets (magnetic tattoos) work, so these will probably work too. They'll probably work even better than the other magnets people have tried. Let's look at all our options, and see if we can get similar magnets somewhere else for less money. Once we find the best deal, maybe you could order the magnets and then sell them to other people. I'm sure a lot of people would want to buy magnets from you. 

@SovereignBleak Hypodermic needles are stainless steel and should not be ferromagnetic, so we don't need to worry about the magnet being attracted to the needle. 
  • Quick question directed at people with the magnets already implanted, what is  the danger of high impact to the finger with the magnet, and would getting small enough magnets effect this for better or worse?

I do a lot of martial arts, I've been conditioning for brick breaking lately and I've just now noticed how often we do direct hits with our finger tips. 

• @Jackthetripper:  I'm actually a fellow martial artist, and I haven't really done anything that involved direct hits with the fingertips.  As for the risk of high impact, I think the worst thing that is likely to happen is rejection.  I haven't done much to impact the magnet, though, so I can't say for certain.
  • @Jackthetripper: what if you put it in your pinky? How much of the force of your conditioning does your pinky really undergo?
  • @Sarcose: I can break with the tips of my fingers, and I've been told it takes about a minimum of 750 pounds per square inch of pressure on an average brick. For conditioning I have bags of steel shot that I practice on. I could probably do all the physics to get a more exact number but it can vary so greatly I might as well say "lol a lot". 
  • I've gotten a quote from VP scientific. For the 3mm x .7mm disc shaped magnets would be roughly $80 for 200 of them. They are Parylene coated and SmCo type magnets. SmCo is less strong than Neodymium and tend to be brittle. 

Not the best choice but by receiving a decent quote it shows they are willing to work with me. I am willing to run the next group buy if somebody can find the best magnets for injection through this site. 
  • So, each of us would have to pay about $4 for ten magnets?  That's even cheaper than the last group buy; I might have to get in on this one myself.
  • @Jackthetripper : What I was really considering was that of all your fingers wouldn't your pinky be the least traumatized, or are you saying you are actually hyperextending individual fingers for breaking bricks with one finger at a time, conditioning each one separately?

What I am imagining is you have your fingers together like, say, a slap, except rigid, and thrusting it forward. In this scenario the pinky tip is farthest away from the front and doesn't experience the initial impact. But color me amateur, I don't really know what all goes into it. It could be that even if it's least impactful in that spot, it would still be enough to be of concern.
  • @Sarcose : Hold your arms out and completely relax your hands. Your fingers should curl slightly down. Now if you straighten up your wrists your fingers should be about be about even with each other. When you hit them on a board or a brick they should all hit at the same time. Doing a straight down motion like you described would probably break a finger or two, this way you have control of the tightening of the muscles. It's all about knowing when to be relaxed and when to be tight. 
  • I get what you're saying now.

I suppose you could seriously worry about rupturing the bioproofing of a magnet this way. You might want to invest in the fingernail alternative. There's a discussion on it somewhere...
  • http://www.ndfeb-info.com/ndfeb_custom_magnets.aspx
    Someone might want to email these guys for a quote, Looks like they can do pretty much any size or shape, from 1X1 mm to 40X5mm
    They also do Parylene coatings.
  • New guy here with an interest in the magnetic implant. So I contacted a company I have used before to get small Nd magnets to see if they could do a Parylene C coating.  They can and said the coating would be ~20μm thick. I had them quote for N52 sized at 1/16" x 1/8".  The minimum order is $150 but that is 413 pieces at $0.36 each.  Is this size suitable for use?  I know they are smaller than the ones in the other group buy.  If they would be suitable I would be interested in getting some if someone would want to run a group buy for them, since I wouldn't expect anyone to let an unknown run it.  I can send the full quote to anyone who would be interested.  Here is part of the quote that I got from them. 

Thank you for your inquiry about custom magnets.  Please find our quote for these custom magnets below.  Custom magnet orders require a minimum purchase amount of $150 per shape.  Magnets are typically ready for shipment in 7-9 weeks after we receive your order.

NdFeB CYLINDER Magnet
    0.063" diameter x 0.125" thick
    Grade N52, Nickel (Ni-Cu-Ni) Plated with Parylene coating, Axially Magnetized
    Qty 413 @ $0.36 ea. (minimum order quantity)
    Qty 1000 @ $0.33 ea.
    Qty 2500 @ $0.28 ea.
    Qty 5000 @ $0.25 ea. 
  • rdbrdb
    edited June 2012
    (Sorry, ignore this comment)
  • They don't make them with a different plating than nickel do they? I'm allergic to nickel and would worry een