Fireflies- a nanorobot system

2»

Comments

• every cell in every organism is a chemical computer of sorts. When they detect a chemical, there's a series of reactions which eventually bring about an appropriote response. The bots will be able to follow chemical gradients to chase down a target. They will eventually be able to respond to changes in their environment in the same manner. They'll have receptors for certain chemicals and undergo changes and start production or degradation of compounds accordingly. They're right between protocells and nanobots as they will be a combination of living and artificial. 
  • I know you have made them but have you tested it at all yet in something alive?

On that note have you figured out what the fda would need to say yes you can do that? (Or what ever it is called in your area)
  • edited May 2016
    The FDA would have a field day with the stuff we do here....

@Chironex
    When you say "follow" how to they respond? I almost gather that they have different reactions at different ratios, also how would these mesh with nootropics? Neopet being the first one that comes to my mind, if they break down the Neopet into what ever it breaks down to metabolically in the brain. Could this yield a potentially toxic chemicals into the brain or make its effects (or is it affects?) more pronounced and powerful. Also let's say you did use the brain with these as a giant chemical computer, how would you program it?

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • edited May 2016
    Not all projects need nootropics lol. I'm hoping to use them to fight cancer and change how we treat disease. Nootropics are the last thing I'll be worrying about. They're not a computer. That's not how this works. They respond to a local environment to adjust their function. Like producing insulin when blood glucose is high. Or produce or release a cancer drug directly into cancer cells. Or lay down structural molecules like collagen for tissue rebuilding. I'll get to biological computing eventually but not too much with these. They will have fairly simple functions, otherwise they'd be way too big. I'm still developing the mechanism by which they'll follow gradients and I would consider that a version 2-3 feature. For now, they will remain simple. 1-2 tasks per bot, manipulated with a magnetic field and stimulated to react remotely. So by putting 2-3 different kinds of bot in the same swarm (or more) you can still accomplish a complex task like reconstructive surgery without the need for biological computing. 

Lol the FDA will need a new book just for these XD I haven't tested them in a live subject only because I've only ahd a chance to try the full chemistry once and it was a dud batch (what with it being my first time and all). I need to have more time in the lab but with exosphere looming and time running out I won't get a chance until after the summer by the looks of it. Also I dont have access to the right kind of lab. I'm hoping to find a sponsor who could provide one without have to jump through all the beaurocratic bullshit I had to with school. But in case I can't find one, I keep refining the chemistry so that they're so simple to make I can make them at home in my lab. 
  • Oh I see, I look forward to reading you work on this. Thank you for clearing that up!

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • edited May 2016
    @Chironex: About the FDA.. Wont there be massive problems getting a new kinda treatment past them?
    Somepeeps iirc will want nanotech classified as wmd, some will want it regulated heavily.. Or?
    What problems do you foresee?

Edit: Will it even be a FDA issue, or fly under the heading microsurgery-ish?
  • not really. the bots are totally biodegradable, biocompatible and ther are already other nano medicines on the market. The future version where they are closer to alive will be more difficult. I very much doubt they'll classify them as wmds. Besides I have no intention of weaponizing them because that would be super dumb.
  • Do you know ware I could read about neural passage ways, and the change in the brain and the change in intelligence's that develop from years and years of practice. Like the singer who knows nothing else, or the math prodigy who is really just a statistical freak. I post this here because I feel like that is ware this will end as a project. limitless infinite learning, I just want to get a jump so I can keep up. 
  • Do you have access to a college library? The journals are where you'll find lots of material. Even if you aren't a student or faculty member, most universities allow the public to access and read material onsite.
  • How big of a college? I will be going to jounier college in the fall....
  • @Chironex I hope you're right. 
    And i recall some "gray goo" hysteria (cant find it tho) also being discussed..
    Im not even close to an expert, just saying it might be good to prepare for an assault by ignorant lawmakers.
  • @JohnDoe Junior colleges usually have libraries as well. If they don't have their own, then they'll partner with another college's library so students have access to material. With so much material going digital, it's become a whole lot easier to access materials. College libraries usually subscribe to a number of databases that contain all sorts of reference material across multiple disciplines. While at the campus library (before you're a student) you should be able to read the electronic material there, but you'd have to be physically in the library to do it. Once you are a student, most colleges will give students off-campus access. 

Also, multiple college libraries in a city or region will often form a network together so students can access materials at all libraries. For example, I go to a private university which is part of a large network of college libraries within the state. If my college library doesn't have what I need, the records will tell me which library does and I can go access it there, whether at the community college, state university, other private colleges, or the slightly odd religious school. 

There's also the Inter-Library Loan program, which allows students to request almost anything from across the globe (though usually restricted within the same country). Depending on how old it is, you might get a pdf doc, paper copy, VHS, DVD, microfilm, etc. For the stuff you're looking at, the vast majority will be digital.

Anyway, when you go to the college library, find the reference librarian and ask for help. It's their job to help students find what they need and also teach you how to use the databases and catalogs. 
  • dude, just use scihub. All the same shit with non of the bureaucracy 
  • Scihub only has those articles and books that the publishers released for free. Outside of a library that grants access to them, you're looking at upwards of $56 per article for those that aren't. Not $56 per issue with all the articles in it, $56 per single article.

If someone has access to a college library, there's no reason to not utilize it as a resource. I mean, it's free access to everything. If someone offered free in person lessons on safely coating implants, there's no reason not to go just because I can watch videos on YouTube.
  • @chironex: Thank you. Very nice site indeed. :)
  • scihub has most stuff actually. Sometimes stuff i can't get from school is on scihub. So it's pretty good. If there's anything you can't get, ask around here and Im sure someone can dig it up for you.
  • Scihub definitely doesn't have most everything. I mean, I'm a fan of the project and totally support it. I even contribute to it. But it's still very limited in what it has due to publishers attacking it. It currently only has access to about 50 million resources and none of the two dozen implant prototype and DNA modification articles I downloaded last night during a lazy search are currently on there. I have access to over twice as many (115,852,533 right now) just from my three most-used databases. I get access to 96,500 different journals alone. Not counting the 26,000 ebooks and 11,000 DVDs. I have yet to not be able to get something, no matter how weird or offbeat. All for free, even when I wasn't a student.

By the way for anyone not aware, scihub.org was seized by Elsevier over copyright claims and though the website looks like it might be the real thing, it's just a platform for a few of their free in-house journals. The real scihub looks nothing like it. It's pretty ballsy how Elsevier is doing their best to shut down free information access so they can make more money. To access the real scihub, you have to use one of their proxies. Scihub.cc is still working I think. Make sure you have the URL or doi for what you want to access.

But the point is, as I said before: If someone has access to a massive information resource for free, there's no reason not to utilize it.
  • Ware can I find one of there proxies?
  • edited May 2016
    www.scihub.cc and www.scihub.bz are currently working. You'll have to have a URL or doi already to get access. You might also want to look a Library Genesis. It doesn't have as much as SciHub, but it has an easier search engine with no doi required. You can access it here: http://gen.lib.rus.ec