A better RFID implant

13»

Comments

• edited May 2016
    @amal, I guess we had the same idea! Can you give me a run down on your procedure? Anything out of the ordinary?

I just got mine in the mail today. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions in terms of placement. Back of the hands? Forearm? What are you guys thinking?
  • If it is mainly read distance that is the issue then the other option is to use an iso15693 chip. These chips aren't NFC but they operate at the same 13.56MHz and many phones are able to scan them natively. NFC chips are deliberately a short read distance for the purpose of security. The read distance of ISO15693 chips is up to 1.5 meters.
  • @robzn That isn't actually completely true. I purchased an xIC (ISO15693) implant from DT and have found that the read range isn't noticeably different from any other NFC implant. As far as I am aware, it all comes down to the power of the reader, and the antenna configuration. I don't think it is possible to make a chip with the conventional cylindrical antenna that a smartphone NFC reader will be able to read from anywhere near 1.5m.
  • edited May 2016
    +1 on that trybalwolf. You would need to change more than just the type of chip in order to get more a better distance. Like you said, change the antenna, or add more power to the system as a whole.

That being said, the read distance on these flat tags are incredible (at least very impressive compared to their counterparts)! 
  • Ahem... phrasing
  • Those are definitely cool. I was daydreaming about the possibilities of flat tag implants when I saw these on Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/products/2800 ). I'm not usually thrilled about pain, but it would be worth it for those. I like the idea of less fussy reading over the usual implants.

What I'd love to see is an NFC tag in a temporary tattoo or decent adhesive sticker, but with a deliberate artistic design element to it. Trick would be a material that doesn't break lines like in the usual metallic temporary tattoos and also an adhesive that had good lasting power without tearing off skin.
  • anyone got their test implants yet? anyone implanted one?
  • @AlexSmith, I got mine but unfortunately life has been getting in the way for the last few weeks. End of the year exams, relationships, etc. 

Hopefully I'll have the chance to do in in the next week or two.  
  • I'll implant mine the Saturday after it arrives.  Hopefully next Saturday (?)
  • I've almost got all the supplies I need to implant. What are you guys thinking in terms of location?
  • I had originally wanted to do the back of my right middle finger, but I'm now planning on the back of my right hand.