Blood Diamond Results

Can those of you who received a Blood Diamond at GF give me some feedback? So far everyone I've spoken to reports great healing and no reactivity/propensity for rejection. Anyone having a different experience?
Tagged:

Comments

• Mine's completely fine.  It's in the side of the hand and was sutured using the mattress technique.  Healed pretty much exactly like my other magnets.
  • Side of hand -- healed, noticeable lump. Haven't tested it yet. Not rejecting is a good sign. (4 m31s did for me) Certainly less sensitivity at site (expected that), unlike the magnet in my ring finger which still hurts when I smack it accidentally on things. 
  • I'm curious, whats a Blood Diamond? I don't think i have seen you mention that on here before.
  • edited April 2016
    probably one of the diamond coated magnets floating about
  • @eggit yes, these are the diamond coated m31's.
  • Blood diamond is often used to refer to diamonds taken from Africa that were harvested by people with less then ethical (humanity) ways. Usually through slave labored or forced labor. Lots of miners are killed which is where the term blood diamon is from.

It is a cleaverly naming for a coated m31 in diamond. (Blood from implanting, diamond coating).

I may suggest a different name for this because of the term blood diamond being such a negative (popular opinion) name.

Personally I don't care but mainstream might.
  • I think the coating design sounds sweet as fuck.

Having a clever name to (one can assume) purposely piss people off won't lead to adoption. It will lead to division.

I know that we all get thrill out of being the special outsiders and everything, but isn't there some sort of long term goal of integration with the rest of the world or something...  
  • My diamond is fine and healed. No sign of rejection. However, I don't like the placement of it. I think I'll end up taking it out, as it's too prominent on my pinky. I'm going to keep it in long enough to conclude that the coating didn't fail.
  • No. The name used here is simply because that's what we've been jokingly calling them. I have nothing to do with what the final product will be called or how it will be marketed. Nor do I care really. I agree that the name is rather insensitive towards a group of fucked with people. As such, I'll just refer to them as Diamond Mags or whatever. In terms of societal integration etc.. I don't give a shit.
  • Fair enough :)
  • I feel the the same as you .
  • My entire life I've been trying to convince those around me that our integration with technology is the next step in our evolution, only to be met with condescending stares and remarks. It really hindered my creativity. It wasnt until I stopped caring what others (most) thought that my ideas seemed realistic and obtainable. As much as I would like the rest of humanity to join me in my journey to the unknown, I have given up on that ever happening. You could call the magnets 'Happy holy fun time good feels buttons" and non adaptable people will still have a problem with them because they are new and unknown, and most people fear change. I think blood diamonds is a sweet name, and if anything will only weed out those who care more about a name than the functionality of the product itself. IMO anyway....
  • Apologies for side tracking the thread.
  • How does the healed sites look for everyone? Mine is red like an acne bump that hasn't formed a whitehead yet. No dark spot like Cassox mentioned for his.
  • Link to photo of the cut
    Mine is doing awesome and had had no issues at all. I forget it there all the time, mine is in a place where I can't feel anything at all. I have had marge magnets smash into it and not feel a thing. But it looks good, feels good, healed quickly (only like 4-5 days) and if at full strength I think it would heal a LOT better than a normal m31.
  • Mine looks more or less like Ben's, but in the side of the hand. 
  • May I ask where to get my hands on one or two of these diamond coated magnets?
  • They are being tested by these individuals right now.
  • May I ask how they are coming along? Is there any side effects, or abnormal activity under the skin? 

Also It kind of blows my mind to be able to coat a magnet in something that is, in my mind, so crazy strong.
  • When magnet design reaches the levels of over-engineering that razors do, grinders everywhere  tremble. The ironic thing is that we've had to escalate our coatings this far because they all keep failing.
  • Does anyone know the approx. price for one of these?
  • I come with sad but not discouraging news. I'm going to take my blood diamond out.
    http://m.imgur.com/a/GE5RF
    The good news is that it had nothing to do with the coating. The coating as near as I can tell has held up just fine. My problem was both in positioning and placement. The magnet is either too close to the skin or in a too prominent position on my pinky. Or both. Either way ever couple weeks or so it swells and gets incredibly sensitive due to grazing or bumping something. So it will have to be removed. I hope it's stayed in long enough for reasonable data about the coating to be collected. I'm either going to take it out myself if the swelling doesn't go down soon or have cassox do it the next time I'm in his area.
  • Ok. Quick update. Ive now had another person telling me about sensitivity and possible chronic rejection starting. I don't know yet if this is due to a beach and this a manufacturing issue or if it's a reaction to the diamond coating itself. While is unlikely to ever reach market anyways. . It seems like the blood diamond nags may be a flop. That's two out of I think ten failed in less then a year after complete healing. Not good enough numbers in my opinion.
  • That sucks, I was rooting for this one. In the event it's a manufacturing issue, would doing another test run with a different manufacturer be feasible?
  • Unfortunately, no. This was about as custom a run as possible. The process isn't being done commercially at this point.
  • I know it would result in a thicker coating, but would a diamond layer surrounded by a more commonly used bio compatible coating be potentially useful? I imagine it would then have the typical compatibility of most other "good" implants while having the durability of the diamond coating. I ask just because I've read a lot of instances of typical implants breaking apart after implantation, which I don't fully understand how that happens, I imagine it'd take smashing one between two rocks (or something similarly hard) to break one outside of the body, so I'm surprised so many seem to break inside the cushy skin layer. Maybe it's just me. Successful stories always seem to be less frequent than negative ones. In the case with any product.
  • I know that layering additional parylene makes the whole coating less stable and easy to peel off... maybe if you coat with parylene followed by diamond like @Jupiter said it would be the best of both worlds? Although I'm thinking that the diamond probably wouldn't increase the shear strength of the magnet, which I think is usually the cause of failure from crushing accidents.
  • Yeah. The reason failures look like that is because once the coating is breached the magnet within gets broken down by reactive oxygen species, enzymes, and acids. The coating is strong but rediculously thin. So without support it cracks apart.

The reason I wouldn't add parylene here is its too complicated a solution. These were magnets first coated in titanium and then coated diamond. That alone is overkill. There are other viable solutions. They may lack the finesse but function is all that matters.
  • It may be slightly off topic, but in your opinion (as more of an expert on it than me), would the increased surface area on a molecular level caused by this method:
    http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2701
    Likely cause a metal to gather bacteria and such more than it otherwise would? (I'm thinking mostly in the case of transdermals as I think a black color would look nicer than a shiny silver color a polished metal would likely have. Noting that the method could be applied to nearly any metal, not just gold.)

Think a similar process could be used to smooth a metal to the point where (assuming it's not itself rejected by the body) any sort of metal could become safer to implant uncoated?
  • Actually yes. The microstructure being described would absolutely foul. Body mod artists usually use silicon implants now, but it used to be more common to implant stainless steel shapes. Stainless steel is biocompatible.. assuming a perfectly smooth surface. I single scratch in it and it would foul and reject. There is a process used called passivization that basically "melts" the outer surface and makes it perfectly smooth. Pretty much the opposite of what this laser is doing.. although the laser thing is cool as shit. Also, I'm certainly not an expert on this.