Ferromagnetic Tattoos

Shoot.  I should have patented this back when I had the idea to use ferromagnetic ink for the Southpaw.  

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Nokia's had more impressive ideas. It just sounds like a designer got the words "haptic" and "phone" and mushed them together until they generated something patentable, rather than a serious technology idea.
    Also would mean you'd have to carry your phone in the same pocket forever, or else it would have to put out a battery life-damagingly strong field.
  • Was that Nokia?  I don't remember their name being attached to that.
  • Apparently I'm incredibly wrong. Sorry.
  • How sensitive is the skin to the magnetic ink? Would it be possible to get dots tattooed on your fingers instead of implants? Perhaps you wouldn't even need to do the fingers and you could get it on the shoulder... man we really need to get on this, my mind is racing with possibilities depending on the strength of the ink. 

If it is weak I could see myself wearing an armband that would act as a haptic controller that would convert outside signals to a magnetic field, it could act as a boost perhaps to weaker fields so you could still feel them. Or what is currently exciting me is the possibility to convert outside signals to a magnetic field. Imagine being able to feel radio signals or ultraviolet or infrared. Walking outside and being able to tell how much radiation the sun is giving off currently on any given day. 
  • Hi,

@jacktheriper...

I'm right with you, my mind is racing at the speed of light in so many direction simultanously....

I'm reading the patent at the momment, to find the correct formula and once i find it,

I aslo belive that a large magnetic tattoo might be a lot more efficient that a single magnet implent...

Apparently there is a type of magnetic particule that is biocompatible. ( i have not read the complet patent yet...)

But as far as i can understant it raise an intresting probleme

Hypersensitivity... For exemple if you tattoo most of the surface of your skin it might become somehow very unplesent...

For me the ultimate use of magnetic implent of magnetic tattoo would be to be able to pick up other people magetic field...
  • If we can find the correct formula of ferrofluid to use I'm more than willing to start tattooing myself, I've had a homemade tattoo gun laying around for quite some time. 

My only questions right now, besides the formula, are what experiments should I begin with? I'd like to jump into this with scientific method in mind and get some useful material. 
  • Just read through the patent and so far the only mentions of what the ink is comprised of is:

"According to an example embodiment of the invention, apparatus 302 is ink enriched by ferromagnetic or paramagnetic compounds for example but not limited to iron (Fe), iron oxide (Fe203), magnetite, liquid suspensions of the rare-earth materials for example neodymium (Nd)."

Interesting to me mostly because I thought neodymium is toxic to the body. Maybe since it's suspended in the skin it doesn't effect much, but that still seems like a high risk to take since you do bleed a lot during the tattoo process. 

I think we're going to have to get our own resident chemists to have a go at this, anybody game?

• This is awesome. There are so many experiments to do! I'd start with flat spiral inductors maybe? Antennas would be sweet. There are too many things.

It might be tricky inking in parallel lines. Get too close and your lines might cross accidentally.
  • I can't get this ink off of my mind. I wonder if nerves would bond to it like they do to electrodes? If that is the case we could do a lot in the way of nervous system projects.
  • Who would ink it exactly? Would a tattoo artist need a special license? I am assuming it would cost extra.

Also would DIY conductive tattoos be out of the question? Wiring yourself up (as in your post in the other thread)?
  • Tattoo artists could do it just fine. I have a friend who can do it for me whenever I call her. She might be able to travel too.

I am not familiar with this license thing you speak of....neither is my friend.

We have recipes for the ink. Just need to get some made.
  • In the US everyone needs a damn license for everything so it's my knee-jerk reaction to any unknown quantity introduced into a business.
  • LOL. I know, just joking around. This stuff (like most of our projects) might be too new to be legal. By the time they get around to legalizing it....

Mutants and cyborgs will rule the world! Mwahahahahaha!

• I like your attitude.
  • Don't worry about getting the tattoo done, you can make a gun yourself on the cheap or just buy one for 100 bucks. Plenty of shady tattoo artists would do it too for the right price.  
  • Well the minute I learned about that I googled "home made tattoos". 

It's not like it would need to be complex, after all.
  • I think we're all willing to get shitty tattoos in the name of grinding. 
  • edited April 2012
    XD. I intends to at least mark down very subtle guides for my implants.
  • Pardon the bad spelling. Good god this tablet is terrible.
  • Bumping this thread again. I'd like to further probe feasibility of a few ideas:

1. A flat spiral induction coil for use as a means to detect EM fields. The tattoo could be directly (l)inked to a nerve. This could (if my logic is correct) be a superior alternative to magnetic finger implants.

2. Using the tattoo ink as an alternative to wire. Kind of obvious, but mainly to connect devices throughout the body to a power supply.

3. Creating a "branching" design to mimic nerves. Can you increase sensitivity in an area by covering it in a continuously branching pattern and then leading it to a nerve?
  • there seems to be quite a few misunderstandings here.

magnetic tatoos consist of magnetic particles. that doesn't make them electrically conductive.
    since they arent electrically conductive, they can not conduct electricity, thus tatooing them in a spiral will do nothing. neither can you connect them to any nerves. transmitting power is also out of question. branching patterns will also have no effect.

in case you are now thinking about using electrically conductive ink to print spirals and connect that to your nerves. that's about as comfortable as connecting your nerve to a copper coil. one fast changing magnetic field and you'll get a few hundret volts on your nerve. that's not what you are looking for (unless you love to enjoy the pain of deep-fried-nerves)

• The only reason I could think of to have certain patterns would to maximize the amount your skin can feel the ink moving in the magnetic field. For some reason a spiral seems to strike me as a good pattern to do it, while then again you'd think a solid ink block would move the most.
  • You guys were right. I was confusing conductive ink with ferromagnetic ink. My mistake. A (silver?) wire spiral inductor would still be an awesome way to detect EM fields. Maybe bioproof it in an implant? The trick would be attaching the wire to a biosafe conductive metal so you could feel it tingle, I think. I'm sure there is a way.
  • As far as I know silver is already bioproof (might cause some color changes, though)

Still can't get over the idea of a conductive ink for charging an implant. It appears to be an interesting trick to not have something really transdermal but still connecting to the outside world. Due to the large area you could probably get the current through the skin without damaging it.
  • the problem with conductive ink is: ink is made from particles.
    so you end up with lots of isolated particles, suspended in tissue. current will take the path of least resistance. means. altho it travels the ink particles pretty easily, it still needs to travel a long distance over tissue.

the other point is. if the particles conduct, you have no insulation. so if you have 2 parallel tatooed-wires. you would still get a lot of current that simply travels out of your "wires" through the skin.

unless you can manage to turn your inked particles in something like fibres that connect together (after tatooing). and on top of that create an insulation layer on the surface after fibres formed, there is little chance this will work out as wished.

for power/charging best option so far remains inductive charging.
  • Hello folks, I'm a tattoo artist and piercer. I have this idea that I wish to work out. Here's the thing, take a look ladies and gents:

gregfulco.com/pdfs/bodyTech.pdf

IF this works, I can think of great possibilities. Any thoughts?

Did any one try conductive ink? What about biocompatibility?

Grinders, discuss!

• edited August 2012
    Thomas's point still stands. The path of least resistance, given that the body is made of salty wet stuff, probably won't stay along the line of ink, especially with a heavy electrical load. Electric noise from the body would wreck data transmissions. You still need an insulative layer.

Also, I wish to invent a new kind of medical problem. 'Electrolytic embolism'.

The concepts linked to from that pdf use either insulated lines on fabric, or wireless networks. The skin-resistance keyboard is really cool, though.

I can't see what's wrong with implanting some wires. I mean, that's what you're trying to do, basically. You would want to give them some slack or some elasticity so that they don't hamper movement.

http://www.appliedplastics.com/products/ptfe-natural®fluoropolymer-coated-medical-grade-wire
  • Ok, but implanting the wire would reqire a major procedure which I probably could't preform my self, will think of the possibilities though. This is doing my head in... Right, to what would I connect the wire? How would the sound be transmited so that I can hear it? What, and where would something have to be implanted to get the sound? Maybe bluetooth headphones, but can I get them small enough? Power supply?

Have to work this out, i'ts google time!

• edited August 2012
    The problem with wire is that any complex rig requires massive, massive surgery.  Plus, you're going to have less control over where it goes, and possibly interfere with other elements.  And it would make things like DirectorX's idea of a branching network to stimulate more nerves pretty much impossible.  I'd much prefer to keep only subdermal components underneath the skin and keep the charging coils and lines on the surface.

I don't know how to solve the problem of the dye getting isolated, but couldn't you insulate the circuit from most of the body by first laying out a deeper insulating layer?  Surround the site with insulating material and then lay in the line.  I'm willing to bet, too, that if we think hard enough we'll figure out a way to connect each dot together.

Perhaps a tattoo artist could give it a try on some dead meat, just to see how much current gets through?  Thomas is probably right but I'd like to see it tried before the idea is dismissed entirely.
  • edited August 2012
    You could pass a wire down the bore of a needle and just inject it. It would be hard to do up near your head, though, not to mention risky.
    Well, yeah, there is going to be surgery involved, what did you expect when you joined up here? :P

Experimenting on some meat is a fantastic idea. We'd all be happy if it just worked, with no problems.

It might be possible to magnetically squish the conductor dots together and then have them set in place, or align them into a wire shape.

[edit] internal resistance seems to be more than 200 ohms / centimeter at tattoo-depth. No precise value, but it maxed out the 200 setting on my multimeter. Don't want to try that again, especially not with DC. Still, that is enough that a 4 ohm speaker in your bone-conduction thing might work well.