Thermotropic/Augmented Facial Reactions

2»

Comments

• Harvard Medical School Massachusetts. Don't know what good this is.
  • edited April 2016
    Lasers. Yes.

Can we please shoot lasers out of our faces when we get embarrassed? :D

But in serious application that looks awesome but also too cell destructive to be useful. Still awesome :3

Looking into the principles of leuko dyes is kinda Bleah. All the mechanisms refer to the conversation from color to transparent with heat exposure.

Nothing ideal for augmenting a blush reaction, other than maybe disappearing tattoos with temperature increase... Which wouldn't be uncool at all... But I'd be nice to see one that appears with increased blood flow and temperature. :s

Because the links below aren't wanting to work >~<
  • edited April 2016
    Aright, trying to construct my formulation for process - 

My hypothesis for implanting is utilising the same method as tattooing: Needle with an appropriate carrier agent. (Ethyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Water, Methanol, Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, ETC) 

The thickness of the epidermis varies in different types of skin; it is only .05 mm thick on the eyelids, and is 1.5 mm thick on the palms and the soles of the feet. ( http://training.seer.cancer.gov/melanoma/anatomy/layers.html ) 

The dermis is located beneath the epidermis and is the thickest of the three layers of the skin (1.5 to 4 mm thick), making up approximately 90 percent of the thickness of the skin.

The polyester film that coats over the LC medium in a Thermochromatic Liquid Crystal thermometer is reported to be anywhere from Less than 75μ to 175μ (.075mm - .175mm)  ( http://www.hallcrest.com/color-change-basics/liquid-crystal-thermometers ), 

So it looks like as far as dermal coating goes, besides the differences between opacity to transparency and thickness differences, that they could display clearly... Right?

75μ - 175μ             -    Utilised Layering of Polyester Film
    50μ - 1,500μ          -    Total thickness of the Epidermis
    1,500μ - 4,000μ    -    Total thickness of the Dermis

Not sure how 'Transparent' skin is, but Is it fair enough to say it shouldn't be a huge relative problem for facial Skin? >~<

I understand the body is great at absorbing things. No hypothesis about what would happen with Liquid Crystal? 

http://www.hallcrest.com/our-products/research-non-destructive-testing/tools-for-learning-and-non-destructve-testing For future self reference. This looks like a good place to see things too, MSDS ahoy.

http://kicp-yerkes.uchicago.edu/2003-winter/pdf/ywi2003-liquid_crystals.pdf The first 3 pages have useful information, self reference.

Links thrown above because posting is silly. x-x
  • edited April 2016
    @Anyonewhocarestoproposeinformation @glims I think I'm onto something! Maybe... :o 

Okay, so, Microencapsulated TLC of Chiral Nematic Nature...

10μ - 15μ              -    Microencapsulated TLC slurry particulate size

This is a nice little nugget as far as background information goes. 

So like... 10-15 Micron Microencapsulated little bubbles getting seeded above your face meats in a Propylene Glycol/Isopropyl Alcohol/Hydrogen Hydroxide/Glycerine solution... What screams "You will die"? I really am just still trying to bounce around with theory and just chip at it more and more at it. D:>

Also, it looks like this is relatively short term effectiveness from what I can determine. It doesn't look like these are extremely long term stable for years upon years to come... But still... IDEAS. 

Still, associated questions would be (and this may be a variable I need to contact the company about), I'm sure there's an abundance of microencapsulated substances that the body can absorb. Is it a hard line of 'This is one of them.', 'This is definitely not one of them.' or just Maybe. X_X

• The MSDS is not friendly. Seems to be an irritant. I'm going to assume that seeded above face meats will be even more so.

Propylene glycol - meh ok
    IsOH- Not in the face!
    Hydrogen Hydroxide - water....
    Glycerine - sure ok

Add to that the 6 month shelf life (and let's assume in you face is more taxing than sitting on a shelf)...

In reply to your "what screams you will die?" question: Most of it.
    Hard pass.

• Thought so...

I was honestly expecting more hydrogen hydroxide flack :o But irritant is a big deal? Bleah. I feel like everything says that. >~<
  • edited April 2016
    So you're planning to use heat to power this 'emotion augmentation', but heat is an indirect measure of a blush. A blush is due to vasodilation of the capillary bed, increasing blood flow to the face.

Thus another way you could activate your "cuttlefish blush" is by finding a compound that changes colour depending on the amount of oxygen present in the surrounding environment (more blood flow = more oxygen). This would also have medical applications; a certain colour could signal to a doctor that the patient is suffering from peripheral hypoxia (low oxygen)
  • Crazy thought that honestly has probably nothing to do with it. What about the old school mood rings maybe use that as a powder or figure out how they actually work. My other one is there is now a fingernail Polish that changes color base on temperature. That could be a different route.
  • Mood rings are just thermochromatic paint on a metal base. Exactly what they're discussing here.
  • I knew it would be a moot suggestion lol.
  • edited April 2016
    @strangely_brown Beautiful! Thank you ^^

I know it's kinda indirect. Bleah >~< but still would be cool with temperature differences, need to sleep now, but will look into Cuddlefish stuff shortly. ^^

@meanderpaul As mentioned, Yes, Mood rights are the exact technology of Thermotropic Liquid crystals applied into real application, and for a small amount of time I was trying to figure out if it would be a practical resource to study hands on before developing further ideas for it.  Kinda stole some of the idea for it from the mood ring itself, too. 

A "built in' Mood Ring on your face. :o
  • ok, interesting question. Sweat has uric acid, so reflection is taken care of. Modify sweat glands?