Recommended age

I am 15 and have been wanting a magnet in my hand for a while my concern is that continued growth may have negative effects on any implants
Tagged:

Comments

• edited March 2016
    Short answer; completely unsure. ^^

I would ask about other factors. Not to ever judge or question, but are you sure your ready?

Do you know what your getting into? ^^

If I asked you exactly what kind of magnet and where you're putting it, how you're going to do it, etc, could you answer everything down to the letter?

Beyond anything, regardless of age, please make sure you know everything your doing and getting in to. But I would personally suspect that if you smacked your healing finger against a door, it would have much more impact on damage or rejection than a couple years of development.

I would expect no, you shouldn't hasn't trouble as long as you did everything as perfectly as you should. But I am by no means the expert on this. Do not take my word for it. Also, by native nature, get permissions from your parents, don't break any laws... native warnings related with what your doing.

You shouldn't do it, it's dangerous. ^^
  • Typically, whatever the age you become a legal adult is "safest" in terms of legality. You can get a professional to do it, then. If you do it all by yourself, legality is less of an issue, but there are a lot of things you need to know thoroughly, practice, and buy before you can do that safely. I've also yet to meet a parent who would allow for such a thing.

Strictly from a developmental standpoint, I'm actually not sure whether growing will negatively affect an implant. I suppose it depends on how deep you initially implant. @Cassox could offer more insight in this regard.
  • edited March 2016
    @eightbitbeast, I'm 17 and will soon be attempting a self implant in the standard location on the ring finger.  I plan to take lots of picture and log progress of healing quite often.

Just like the others said, research is key. I doubt that our continued development will have much of an effect.

*edited
  • @chrisbot there was a 12 year old who did it once iirc... His parents had them removed by a doctor because they didn't approve, though they weren't rejecting or failing.

The exact repercussions on the body, I'm not sure. But there wasn't any note of anything being wrong with his hands.
  • @Zerbula, holy cow! How did he get those things implanted? Link?
  • I remember made me happy to see I am not the youngest blood here. (18) I think he had a PO box, he got everything from dangerousthings.com .
  • I know it's typically recommended to get piercings or tatoos first but I'm not interested in either of those thank-you for your input I'm planning self implant and the standard location using an m31. I have been looking in to it for a couple of years.
  • Do you have experience in delicate work like this? I don't think self implantation at any age is good unless there's been some experience.
  • @Sishio, that is the age old discussion... Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice. There aren't any local piercers(4 hour radius) in my area. While not ideal, it isn't exactly a complicated procedure. As long as the **utmost** care is taken at all stages of the implantation I don't see much of an issue. There are plenty self implants that are still going strong.

• You could always.... do something that isn't implanting yourself? There's a million different and better things you could do in relation to biohacking, and if your reasoning for doing a potentially damaging surgical procedure on yourself with no prior experience is literally "there's nothing around me and i'm too young to go any farther", you might need to rethink - just a little bit.

Seriously - if you're dead set on this please /at least/ say what it really is. You're willing to go through with a procedure that could seriously damage your fingers - one you've never tried or practiced before - because you really want cool magnets in your digits. Don't give yourself the "I have no choice" line.
  • edited March 2016
    I appreciate the concern, but Ive already ordered the supplies, it would just be a waste of money at this point if I didn't go through with it.

I've already done a self implant of an NFC chip. I am aware that the procedure is much different, but I have been researching and preparing for the last couple of months; I've even been practicing my surgical knots. You have to start somewhere right?
  • Should a piece of pork make a good practice vic? Just don't use any of the steral stuff, a hobby knife in place of the scalpel and a small steel rod in place of the magnet. Just a idea plus a meal afterwards.
  • Pork is meat, you need to work with skin. You'd need to get a piece of fatback to be able to use the experience.
  • edited March 2016
    Still get some practice before you implant into yourself. Tattoo artist do something similar. What is your plan from sterilization to your post op routine?
  • edited March 2016
    @JohnDoe. First things first, I plan to take a week off from work in order to reduce the risk of bumping it on something while it is healing.

I purchased the magnet from TrybalWolf, and the package hasn't even been opened yet, so I am almost certain that the coating has not been compromised. Regardless, I am going to soak it in 99% isopropyl for an hour or two to sanitize it.

In order to prepare, I ordered the magnet implant kit from cyberize as well as a sterile field mat and gloves. 

Once it is actually time for the implant I will sterilize the area to the best of my ability. Unfortunately I do not have much control of over air quality or humidity, so it will not be a completely sterile field. Either way, I will wipe down all of the surrounding areas to throughly with more alcohol and sterile gauze pads. 

After that is done, it's the usual scruba-dub-dub for a solid few minutes up to the elbows and under the nails(trimmed of course). A short walk to the sterile field to put on the gloves and then we are ready to rock. At this point, I will mark where the incision will be. The standard ring finger location, and a 5mm mark, for the 5mm incision.

Sterilize the injection site for the lido with the alcohol swab. Of course taking care not to inject into a vein, I will draw in just a bit to make sure I don't get any blood. I'll wait and hum to myself for a few minutes while the lido does it's job. Contemplate life and all of it's intricacies. Once I'm properly numbed I will put on the tourniquet. 

I will then start to cut on the previously made mark. The wiki says between 1/2mm and 1mm. I will be looking for the dark red tissue under the skin. Once I have reached that point, I will use the tip of either the forceps or the iris scissors (depending on what size seem appropriate) included in the cyberise kit to undermine the skin and create the pocket for the magnet to sit in. Obviously the pocket will be a bigger than the diameter of the magnet, and at least 2mm away from the incision site. 

Once that is set, I will slide in the magnet. It is my understanding that this is one of the hardest parts of the procedure, so this part will probably take the longest.

Finally I will suture it up. At first I was debating whether to use Dermabond, but as @Cassox pointed out in some previous threads, that is generally not a good choice. The recommendation is suturing, and therefore that is what I will do. 

After that is done the tourniquet comes off and we dress it. I still need to get some saline, but I will wash it out with that first. I have some triple antibiotic ointment that I will put on the site and wrap it up. Depending on pain levels and swelling I might ice it as well. Keep chaning the dressing and applying ointment for the first week....

After that it is just standard post-op. I will probably wait about a week to remove the stitch just to be sure. 

I think that is pretty much it.

Oh yah, I forgot to mention that I will have a friend present(also properly sterilized and equipped with gloves) in order to help me out in any way.
  • Vary good make sure your friend is FULLY aware of what can go wrong. Meaning if you pass out he won't flip out. That is the main thing holding me back is a good spotter.
  • He's been with me since the beginning of my crazy antics, he is rock solid. I plan to do the implant asap. Just as soon as the supplies get here. Will keep you updated.
  • edited March 2016
    @ChrisBot

You forgot Chlorhexidine, Substitute/augment the Isopropyl with it, it works on things that Isopropyl doesn't. 

And I would also ask if you know the proper injection procedure for the Lidocaine. The aspiration is on, but you know what vessels your trying to dodge and what tissue you are trying to hit, right? ^^ (Honestly, this is the part that scares me the most. It's not because of the needle. But i did recently learn i have no allergy to Lidocaine, which is nice to know.)

Also, take ibuprofen to reduce the swelling, it will help. 

More importantly than anything, memorise everything down to the letter, and understand how to interpret the bad situations and react in the most appropriate method. but you're doing your research well. :3
  • @Zerbula, you got me on a few different fronts....

I knew that Chlorhexidine is what is recommended, and I have to admit that I wasn't going to bother going to that extent. I know that the utmost care should be taken with this sort of thing, but I got tired of paying shipping costs. :/

Also, I don't know the exact physiology of my finger where I will be injecting the lido. However I did use lido for my NFC implant, so I am not going into this completely cold. I'm not too concerned in this regard however.

I read up on the usage of lidocaine before my first implant and I believe the conclusion was that it would take quite a significant  amount of lido in your veins to do any real damage.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the tips, and will make sure to read up on the proper procedure for injection.
  • The wiki has a link to a wonderful site that breaks down the entire human body in an observable 3D model. Suggest looking at it. It's really good. ^^

As far as producing chlorhexidine, hit up your local Walgreens/CVS/Riteaid. I managed to find a good sized bottle at the first, next to my work.

You have aftercare memorized? And do you know how to suture? A poorly done suture is much worse than no suture. Practice it If it's not familiar, and this is one advantage that adhesives have over suture.

Suture still being ideal, ofc. But too loose or too tight and it's not going to be pretty.

And placement is ideal? ^^ you are sure it's in a low traffic are for your hands?

Sorry to throw out all the questions, but better to be able to answer all of this than not. :3
  • edited March 2016
    I've got the after care pretty much memorized. Triple Antibac and bandage changes twice a day, or when it becomes soiled. Flush with sterile saline before each change. Keep that up for at least 2 weeks. Like I said before I'll probably keep the suture in for about a week, depending on how the healing goes.

**keep dry at all costs**

I still have about a week or two before I actually do the implant, so I'm the meantime I will go to the local butcher and get some real meat to practice on. What would you recommend? I've been practicing with needle and thread and foam, just to get the knot down.

As far as placement, that is pretty much as low traffic as it gets. I'm very physically active so I will have to see how it plays out. It will probably just be a matter if relearning how to grip things.

In the future I would like to get rods in the backs of my thumbs like that other fellow, as that doesn't interfere with gripping whatsoever. And plus they could be injected.
  • you can't flush with saline and keep dry at the same time ;)
    better to be dry
  • @glims, really? The wiki specifically stated in the after care instructions to rinse the site with sterile saline and let it dry before reapplying antibac and badges.

Is this correct? I suppose that it can often be a matter of discretion.
  • Someone ask Cass for clarification. All I'm saying is that you cant keep something dry and flush it with liquid at the same time. Something needs to be edited.
  • My thought is it is a miss interpretation. Cleaning it with saline then drying it.
  • @Meanderpaul, just like i said, "rise with sterile saline and let it dry..."
  • Oh my bad I must have overlooked that line.
  • you dont need to apply topical antibiotics to the site for 2 weeks, the wound will have closed long before then.  youll risk rejection by applying antibiotics for so long too because the site wont be dry and that will effect the healing process.  better to be dry.
  • Sorry for the thread hijacking, but I don't think I should start a new one. Anyways.

I was thrilled too see what came in the mail from cyberise, my magnetic implant instruments!

One small (large) problem :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIICR_SuBEkX0Y3a0FpNl9wZlk/view?usp=docslist_api

(I would embed the image, but posting from mobile)

Now I know it says right on the package NOT to use of opened, but I really have no interest in waiting a other two weeks for more sterile instruments.

Advice on home sterilization? A nice long soak in chlorhexidine? Perhaps a bake in the oven at 350 'til golden brown?