refused an MRI with magnetic implants

edited March 2016 in Magnets
So I know Cassox posted recently that someone he knows with the implants went in for an MRI and it caused serious pain. I thought I would follow up on my own (sort of) experience.

I'm in the SF Bay Area and *no one* will give me an MRI due to the magnets. My doctor worked with a specific MRI center to research it further, and what they concluded is that a large enough magnet will vibrate in an MRI machine so much that it can head up and cause third degree burns around the area. They were not concerned with arcing or even of it getting pulled out of the skin, but were extremely concerned that the magnet could heat up enough to cause damage to the nerves in the finger. There is a surprising amount of research this due to the use of magnets in cochlear implants (the results being that cochlear implants have removable magnets now).
Tagged:

Comments

• Link to the research please....
  • I think this was more on the side of caution then research. Which is my assumption. My main reason for that is cause it was cassox who tested it. I would try and get info from @cassox to show to the doc concerning documentation withe finger magnets vs cochlear implants.( I don't know if there is a difference).
  • I also got refused an MRI. They had me go into the room and it was trying to pull out. They suggested removal or try for an open MRI. 

How strong was the magnet that Cassox tested in the MRI? As I recall he's had reports from friends with stronger ones that it did hurt and was a possible issue.
  • I think it was an m31.