FeN

edited February 2016 in Magnets
FeN -  Iron Nitride. A new kind of rock, not using rare-earth and still boasting awesome properties... 

Including boasting a maximum Gauss rating of N130+, and claiming much lower manufacturing costs utilising current manufacturing systems...

It looks like University of Minnesota has dibs on it's research... But what is everyone else seeing out of this stuff? :o

Tagged:

Comments

• wow, this stuff is pretty impressive. It looks kinda lethal though. Maybe it would work nicely in glass like an rfid? 
  • It's that, I think. :o

@DirectorX more toxic than the normal rare earth flavors? I don't know enough biochem to say anything about how these magnets would interact. I know I would be foolish to say than FeN is safer than NdFeB because your trading all the Nd and B for N... Obviously, chemicals and elements react. #_#

Is it the iron being toxic? Or does nitrogen do fun stuff when broken down? Or does the whole compound act as a poison? >~<
  • edited February 2016
    "When heated to decomposition, or exposed to humidity, iron nitride may emit toxic fumes of ammonia. It is considered a moderate explosion hazard. Inhalation of iron nitride dust or powder may cause irritation to the respiratory system and possibly acute iron poisoning or iron pneumoconiosis."

Never mind. Wikipedia. ^^

So basically, ammonia time bomb if the coating fails?... >~<

Addendum: self extracting magnets; Now am idea? ;D
  • Warning:
    finger tip may get blown off in a fashion that could either look like a scene from saw or be your own implanted 4th of July. We don't care we just want to see something blow up.

Jokes aside wasn't films who said that bio glass would be to think to get good sensation from the magnet? I do think a PVD process could work if you had away to recharge the magnet....

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • @Johndoe please remember than FeN can pull about N132 compared to conventional NdFeB N52 rating. :3

It has over twice the force of the strongest magnets one would walk across. Gram for gram, if it was safely coated, I could see it shaming the m31. It would be like neodymium magnets compared to good ceramic fridge magnets. >~<

The loss of strength from N52 to N48 Is a tangible detriment. This would let magnets either become much more receptive, and could tolerate thicker coatings with less detriment, or be made smaller in size.
  • Go big or go home, there are other aftercare related issues related to the power of those magnets.(keeping the wound closed.) If we can maker past that then unless @glims @chrionex sees a reason for a thicker coating I don't, I do see how those magnets could possibly require bed rest....

Sincerely,
    John Doe
  • To create ammonia you need a source of hydrogen, which doesn't exist if coated properly and sufficiently pure.
  • Worst case situation if the coating compromised with a good, pure magnet; Would the bodies internals allow formation of ammonia? I could see that getting really nasty really quick. Assuming much worse than neodymium or nickel rejection. D:>

Or how far are we working with information we dont know... How pure is pure, is that something we reach?
  • I know it was mentioned but not really talked about. Is this not a magnet that would need to be "recharged"? What is the life of the magnetism if it can be implanted?
  • If you contact the college, they'll get you in contact with the people who have exclusively licensed the technology. I've talked to them a couple of times.. I'm under the impression that is now exclusively licensed to the military.
  • This is a permanent magnet btw. I believe you can look the patent as well although I don't think it gives away the secret sauce in terms of making them
  • Any idea at what temperature it would lose its magnetism? I know that rare earth magnets have to stay below a certain temperature. That's what I was referring to when I said recharge. More likely than not it won't be a problem but who's to say.

Sincerely,
    John Doe