Hypothetical Question About Sensation

edited February 2016 in Magnets
Ok, this might seem a bit weird, but I'm curious. Most people report being able to sense with their magnet removed, correct? How long does the sensation stay after removal of the magnet?

Depending on how long this sensation lasts, could this be DNA altering? If it lasts for a decent amount of time i'm assuming it would alter it, but i could be wrong. But if it does alter DNA, maybe even the slightest amount, would it be theoretically possible to pass this trait to offspring? Obviously it would take several generations but i'm just curious as to whether or not this is plausible.
Tagged:

Comments

• I do not believe they are sensing the fields still or altering dna. What I think is happening is similar to when an amputee still feels that limb or when you feel phantom vibrations from a phone that's not there.

They have learned what things have fields and what they feel like and roughly when they should. I think it has more to do with the brain tricking itself then anything.

Some one with more bio background could probably explain it a bit better.
  • edited February 2016
    That makes sense to me. It does seem more like "muscle" memory, except in this case it's nerve memory.

But I feel like thats still a heritable thing. If someone who is good at basketball has kids, their kids will probably also be good at basketball. Idk how this would apply to an implanted magnet though.
  • I believe this is the concept you are looking for:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism
  • @thewinterwower it wouldn't be inherited. That leads back to nurture vs nature. Is the kid good a basketball cause of nature or was he good at basketball because of his upbringing?

Same is often said of criminals. Are criminals criminal because they were raised that way or born that way?

See my point?
    My father is very good at darts but I am not. That would be in the same realm. He is very good at math whereas I'm not.

Inherited abilities are based on if it can be passed on genetically instead of what is going on in something like nerves. It has to be passed into your DNA which is not something that happens from a piece of metal.

My friend has extreme sensitivity to the cold due to a fragment of carbon fiber in his hand. That sensitivity will not pass on to his kids because it effects him as an outside source.
  • note to self: cancel carbon fiber hand implant.
  • Haha yea not the most friendly thing out there. An arrow shattered above his hand sent splinters all in him.
  • edited February 2016
    @Meanderpaul
    How did a arrow shatter above his hand?
  • Owwwwwww.

No thank you >~< I've shot enough archery to know what goes wrong when bows/arrows break. I haven't really shot carbon fiber enough, but aaah that sounds like it sucked. x-x
  • The arrow had to of had damage when he released it and all the force behind it makes the arrow essentially explode. The damaged spot becomes the failure point and it just is bad very bad.
  • Why couldn't it be removed?
  • I honestly don't know I think it was more his choice then anything. He has scars all over that spot.
  • Dang I built a arrow air gun not shooting cf arrows out of it....
  • If there's a bio-inert epoxy then shouldn't that work for a carbon implant?
  • I think the problem with carbon fiber is that it is expanding and contracting with temperature. If not another possible problem is that because it is a shard in his hand there are sharp edges that are cutting into his nerves.
  • On the bright side, when it's cold outside, he'll be the first to know
  • he sure did know. He wouldn't go ice fishing because of it. But this is off track.