Magnet implant while working in the IT industry?

edited January 2016 in Magnets
Hey everyone,

I have been lurking on this forum for a short period of time now, but I decided to make an account and my first post today.

I am extremely intrigued by the idea of having a magnet in my finger, but I face some questions. Here in The Netherlands (Are there any more Dutch members on the forums?!) there is little to no knowledge on magnet implants, but I will do everything it takes to get one.

I work in the IT industry (read: use and build computers all day long, and build and configure networks) so I was wondering wether that would be an issue. I am left handed, but am looking for an implant in my right hand, because I use that hand less often, so it is protected more. I have not yet decided on what finger I will get the implant, but I am leaning towards implanting it in my ringfinger or middlefinger. I have read that the magnet does not break magnetic cards and stuff, so I think I'll be fine. 

Is there any danger in implanting a magnet while working with electronics/computers?

Thanks a ton, 

Ivo
Tagged:

Comments

• Only thing I could think of is having it possibly stick to a piece of metal and getting rejected. I'm also talking about during the healing time not so much after.

I'm sure someone with more experience then me will chime in though.
  • Questions like this get asked about magnetic implants all the time, and the answers are:

No, a magnetic implant will not affect anything you are working on, and is not a risk to any electronic devices.

No, the risk to yourself or the implant is not any greater than usual, due to working in IT.

Yes, it can be handy for picking up screws that get dropped in tight places. :)

Just give it time to heal properly and don't do something foolish like hold it near a high-powered AC motor before the stitches come out.
  • You may want to keep your finger away from older magnetic storage systems such as floppy disks or magnetic tapes (magnetic cards might be a problem,too). Harddisks are no problem.
  • edited January 2016
    That is what I am worried about.

@zombiegristle
    I knew about magnets not really affecting anything, but I was indeed wondering wether it would hurt the healing process. I can take it easy for a couple of months, but not for the rest of my life ;) Also I must admit I'd really love it if I could actually pick up a screw hahaha.

Thanks for the advice!

What I am also wondering: I use a computermouse righthanded. Will I constantly feel feedback?
  • A mouse shouldn't cause anything unless for some reason your mouse has a strong alternating current or a magnet of its own.
  • Hey @fistfull95, ik woon in Amsterdam. I'm a programmer and have never had an issue with my magnetic implant, and I've had it for 3 years now. Sometimes it messes up shitty hotel room keys, but that is about it. I'm not even sure it is caused by the implant, but I'd like to believe it :)
  • @zombiegristle Ah okay, perfect! Thanks. 

@teddythetwig Thanks for your reply. I had hoped that I would find anybody in NL with an implant here on the forums. Did you implant it yourself if I may ask?
  • Nope, I had it done by a guy name John Garcia when I was living in San Francisco.

If you are interested, you could email Samppa Von Cyborg([email protected]). He often travels, so you can set up an appointment for the next time he is in NL. 

Another option is Tom van Oudenaarden in Utrecht. His shop, http://www.piercingutrecht.nl/ does magnetic implants, but I'm not sure they will use a local anaesthetic(I imagine it hurts without this)
  • Ivo,

at the Amsterdam Tattoo Convention two years ago I talked to some people of 
    Dare2Wear Amsterdam. They do magnetic implants too and seemed like a decent place.
  • @teddythetwig I have spoken to Tom, and have learnt alot ever since.

@rin Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow.
  • @teddythetwig I've had cell phones mess up hotel cards. Probably not the radios, but when it spins up the little motor to vibrate the phone. A neodymium magnet will certainly do it.

The difference is coercivity, which is how strong a magnetic field is needed to change the card. Credit cards and such are high-co, they take a stronger field to rewrite or erase. Hotel cards are low-co, because the hotel wants to rewrite them all the time.

@fistfull95 Magnets generally won't screw up computers, with, as people have pointed out, the possible exception of magnetic media that's intended to be rewritten a lot (diskettes, tapes). Hard drives actually have really powerful magnets in their voice coil assemblies.

You might end up able to distort the colors on old CRT monitors, though. I haven't personally tried, as I'm not as bad an antique collector as I used to be.
  • @Ringdown

Can confirm a tiny magnet the rough approximate size of an M31 (with most likely a lower pull) can distort CRT. Extremely minor, had to spend some time, but it works.

If you could get an m31 to, I wouldn't be surprised, but with positioning it might get pretty awkward to do horribly interesting things with it that would cause failure on any level.

If your keyboard isn't implanted into the monitor's screen, I personally wouldn't worry about it. ^^
  • Tablets and touch screens? Any chance to screw those up?
  • I really doubt it. I'm not going to be the one who says 100% is completely safe, I just don't know enough about it to guarantee. But I think so, pretty sure it's safe. I wouldn't be afraid to try myself. ^^
  • So speaking from an anecdotal experience. I work with computers, servers, and mobile devices all day. I have yet to experience anything that either causes discomfort on my end or causes damage to said devices.

Besides what ringdown mentioned with smaller and sensitive devices, you should be fine as long as you are mindful on what you are sticking your fingers in. ;-) Keep in mind that tablets, phones, and other mobile devices already have larger magnets in them for the speakers.
  • The color distortion in CRTs is because a magnetic field will deflect the electron beam, and, if you're unlucky, magnetize the shadow mask so that it stays deflected. LCDs don't have a shadow mask, electron beam, etc, and so are immune.

Source: I am currently waving a neodymium magnet at my LCD.
  • also note, unless you have a very very old CRT you'r likely to find a demagnetize option in the CRT's menu to undo pretty much most of the damage done by magnets.
  • ^ confirmed
  • I can shut down the display on my laptop if I run my magnet over the hinge where the cable runs up to it. I have to try and do it though, it doesn't happen accidentally.
  • @Cathasach that'd be a feature. Many modern laptops include magnetometers in the main body and a magnet in the lid to detect when the laptop is closed/open. Older laptops utilize tiny mechanical switches. But imagine an apple designer putting mechanical switches into the visible area of a device, he'd be fired instantly.
    Long story short: no harm done other than entering your close-lid settings (poweroff, standby, hibernate, screen-clear, p0rn-downloadingscript or whatever you have set as action for closing the laptop's lid)
  • Everybody, thanks so much for your reply's and feedback! I have decided to just stick a darn magnet into my finger already haha. Not myself though ;)
  • Well, just make sure you know everything you are doing before hand, please.

While there may not be many things that would make it an inconvenience for your work BECAUSE of the end result, the process itself could still be very... Bad... ^^ You aren't out of the woods yet.
  • I have read up about it, and had already decided I was not going to do the procedure myself. I'd like to have it done professionally, I don't mind the cost.

Is there anything you would recommend me to look into?

• Aftercare. Memorize it backwards and in Latin.

Most rejections are due to poor aftercare, if the implant is done right with the right things. Also, resist the urge to play with it out the gate, give it ample time to heal. ^^
  • I know resisting the urge to play with it might be a problem, but I'll have to resist lol. I'll do more research on the aftercare, thanks!