Where can I get hold off Parylene?

Sorry if this has already been answered, I did have a look, but I cannot seem to find anywhere, where Parylene is sold in order to coat my N52 magnet. I'm very new to pretty much everything involved so I have no idea how to go about this, thus it would be very much appreciated if you could give me some links to where it's sold, how to apply... etc!
Tagged:

Comments

• Unless I'm mistaken, you'll need a Vapor Deposition unit in order to do a parylene coating. That'll cost you a lot of money.
  • edited January 2016
    Ok, definitely sounds beyond my budget... Is there a £20 alt, by any chance? Titanium, maybe?
  • I've heard of a few projects exploring some new coating alternatives, but I don't think they're ready juuuuust yet (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). Should be a much more affordable alternative :)
  • Doing some testing with sodium silicate and silicate based coatings in the next few weeks. If it holds up in vivo it could make for a cheap and easy coating alternative. Since you could just spray it on and you're done. In theory. 
  • Ironically, it's almost like implanting a rock.
  • edited January 2016

Is there a site, UK based, where I could order a pre-coated magnet? I did try dangerous things, however they're "changing manufacturer(s)", making that option void! *Nice site BTW*

• From what I've been hearing they are going to be coming back. I would wait. You could look at Steve Haworth for magnets I don't know about getting it to the UK though.
  • @Meanderpaul
    I'll be spending $40 anyway... I'm sure shipping wont cost much!
  • Try holier-than-thou.co.uk for haworth magnets
  •  @xepicmonkeyx

i can get parylene coated N52 magnets but let me know as going to be about 65 ish

• http://www.supermagnetman.net/,

you can find some 3x1mm n52 magnets coated in parylene c on this website.
    they ship world wide. 
  • Yup, here they are.

Is anyone else... suspicious of just how much cheaper these ones are? Cost 9$ with shipping for 10 of them.
  • Welp, so I broke down and bought the 10 from smm. I'm not entirely certain of the coating though, but then again I don't entirely know what I'm looking for, or how to test whether it is flawless, or how thick it should be, if even measurable. Some of them have tiny white irregular lines along the edges, for instance. Any thoughts?
  • >~<

Maybe steal a page out of @AlexSmith's book, I think he used dimethylglyoxime? http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/1237/looking-for-m31-or-m36/p1 read all of this, it MIGHT be relevant, but I have no idea how that reacts with Parylene.

Anyone wish to chime in here? I don't know what I'm talking about. D:>
  • I got the supermagnetman magnets mentioned above. First one I didn't put deep enough, but second one has been fine so far. 3months on the second one so far.
  • stick them in your hand and i bet youll find out why its 9 dollars for 10 magnets :)
  • That is simply the cost of mass manufacturing parylene-C coated magnets. They are not actually cheaper than if you were to order them in bulk, so in that sense they are cheaper because you are only getting 10 but SMM has them on hand in bulk and as such can afford to sell them at these prices. However they do not offer bioproof testing services on the level that is necessary to put them between our dermis and fat layers.

That being said I have heard some quality control issues related to SMM, and we have all heard enough stories about parylene in and of itself, from any source even the most reputable, not being a suitable coating due to rates of failure both during implant and with daily life sort of use.

What you are paying for when you buy a magnet directly from a biohacking source is the fact that they have bought these very same magnets for the very same price, and then they have costs to cover beyond this.

Testing time, paying for failed magnets during testing, buying testing supplies, buying materials to handle and ship them them safely, paying for time to go to the shipping store, paying for domain time for a website, paying costs of POS fees, and many more costs that we can only see for ourselves if we go into this venture on our own. And of course profit. Businesses have to make profit and even ones catering to friends in the biohacking community have to pay all of this overhead and still put bread on the table or it simply cannot stay around.

I personally would not feel comfortable buying 10 of a bulk produced parylene-C coated magnet, due to the fact that so many may fail, and then just shove one of them in me without testing.

This coming from someone who just had two magnet implants done, one coated in parylene and THEN in FDA-2t epoxy. Also someone with other ideas/things in the pipeline...

Just my 2 cents

TL:DR

You get what you pay for when it comes to implants, magnets or otherwise, if you don't want to buy in bulk and do testing yourself.