New here but already hacked.

edited January 2016 in Community
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but not new to biohacking and thought now might be the time to introduce myself.

The things I have experience with so far are as follows;

1. Bilateral small Haworth magnets in my ring fingers (6 and 5 years old, approx)
2. Haworth "magician's magnet' in my right hand, mid 5th metacarpal. (2 weeks old)
3. Self-implanted RFID tag in my right thumb/index web space (maybe 3 years old, not in use)
4. Self-implanted NFC tag in my left thumb/index web space (3 weeks old, used to store various info of importance to me).

Non-wetware, but interesting;

1. I am an amputee, and keep the key to my car in my prosthetic leg. It is a proximity lock and so I do not need to take it out to unlock my car or drive. I lock the car when exiting by using the lock button on the inside door, so the key does not need to come out except to change the battery.

2. I program my own hearing aids.

3. I have experience with nootropics.

Here are some things I want to do:

Hack my hearing aids. I already taught myself how to program my Phonak hearing aids using Phonak software and a connection device to change the settings and audio curves myself. However right now, I am quite annoyed that if I want to use my hearing aids to listen to music or take phone calls, I have to wear an induction loop device around my neck which connects to my phone via Bluetooth. Two companies make hearing aids which can connect directly to smartphones without the induction neckloop, but new hearing aids are expensive and the brand I know how to program does not yet make hearing aids that can connect without the neckloop. Being able to hear Wifi like Frank in another discussion would be rad!

Comments

• Any way you have it there's going to be some manner of communication with the hearing aids, and if they're not already wireless then something is going to have to be added.
  • I do have the option of purchasing a shoe that sticks on the end of the hearing aids (they are the behind the ear style) of which can be affixed a small FM receiver. Could such a setup be modified to connect wirelessly to a smartphone?
  • edited January 2016
    If is has the capability to have an FM receiver, that could be extended to about any kind of receiver. If nothing else an FM transmitter could be used. Does the shoe use induction or direct connection? Also, where is the shoe powered from?
  • True, but can my smartphone transmit FM (without some other thing attached to it?)

The shoe uses a direct connection and is powered by the hearing aid batteries. I will go grab some pics!
  • Okay, here is a pic of a hearing aid, direct input shoe, and attached FM receiver.

These aren't my hearing aids (I would not be caught dead with beige ones, mine are purple) but the setup is the same.

http://www.hmi-basen.dk/en/blobs/orig/12674.Jpg
  • That's something I can work with. I need to know more about the fm receiver to know if a bluetooth replacement is possible off of the internal battery, or if it would need its own. I'd also need to know how the connector works.

Stereo bluetooth would require either a line between the hearing aids, or a transmitter on the side with the bluetooth receiver and a receiver on the other side.