Rock climbing

edited November 2015 in Magnets
I indulge in heavy physical activity at times, including rock climbing, which tends to put my body weight on my fingers. Would this be too much for a magnet? If so, where else could I put it that would be out of the way, but would still give me good sensation? Is the meaty part between thumb and forefinger sensitive enough?

This is a strange idea that just occurred to me, but the only area of the body that rivals fingertips in sensitivity are the lips. Do any problems or considerations with this jump out at you?
Tagged:

Comments

• Stick to the standard implant locations on the SIDES of the fingers and not underneath the pads, and you'll be fine. I also rock climb, and I do a number of fingertip chinups on door frames every day and I haven't had any issues. Two magnets in my left ring and index fingers, about 2.5 years old each I think.
  • I feel like everyone asks about rock climbing when getting magnets. or maybe I just need to get out more..
  • Don't forget parkour and martial arts :) Together, it's the trifecta of magnet implant concerns.
  • Brian Decker implanted mine in the pad, where he had had his.  I say "had", because he took his out because they interfered with his rock climbing.

So, avoid the pad.
  • Glims, yeah, I do those too. Rock climbing seemed like the most finger-intensive. Zombiegristle, could you show me a photo of precisely where on the fingertip yours are implanted?
  • When you're on the wall you put your entire weight on a few fingertips, so it's pretty much exactly what they say not to do, haha.
  • magnet wont break but be warned that pressure on the magnet while climbing is not fun. I was climbing ropes mostly so it wasn't too bad but that's a lot less pressure than rock climbing and honestly i learned to climb without the finger when possible cause it's wasn't comfy. I've been meaning to try out a new placement on the back of the hand so that people who need their hands can still enjoy the magnet while retaining use of their hands for heavy work. I should note that i had the magnet in my pointer finger rather than my ring so your experience may vary. The ring finger probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad and rock climbers tend to use the other fingers more anyway. so it's your call. and you can always try it out and if you hate it, take it out, heal up and try again.