Implantable edison project

Tomorrow my parts arrive for this thing - the edison itself + breakout board and inductive charging receiver plus lipo.

After some testing and configuration i'll be wanting to get it coated and then after yet more testing i'll start looking into the implantation procedure.
Tagged:

Comments

• Have you looked into coding the Edison, and how easy it is to reprogram if you goof? Also, what's the first thing you're planning on using the implant for?
  • It's 32-bit x86, that's downright simple to program.

First thing i'll be using it for is probably data storage.
  • This might also be an option for some applications:
    http://www.warpboard.org/technical-features/
  • I now have this thing running, broadcasting an ad-hoc wifi network called CyborgNet with avahi running, giving the ability to chat to anyone else on the same ad-hoc network.

With a bit of work on the UI to give a voice interface, it should be possible to walk into a room with someone else using it and suddenly hear "Gareth Nelson is near by" and similar.
  • And the electronics and part of the software are complete.
  • Can the Edison run a .exe file? I assume it can, but it's been awhile since I looked into that sort of thing.
  • It doesn't run windows
  • What have you accomplished so far on this project?
  • I've got the edison and some support circuitry (battery + qi inductive charger) encased in plastic and i'm starting to coat it in resin.

On the software side of things, it's configured to automatically connect to an open wifi network and broadcast avahi advertisements so I can login over SSH.
  • edited September 2015
    Say, were the inductive charging coil and lipo integrated, or separate? Also, what're the size specs as you have everything configured now? Depending on how well this goes along, I might attempt to replicate your device.
  • By kilo I assume you mean the lipo - no, they weren't integrated.

What i've done is taken the edison and the mini breakout board, attached a lipo to the breakout board (it has a battery charger integrated) and plugged in a Qi to micro USB charger then wrapped it up in plastic film and painted with liquid tape to seal it.

In terms of size, I don't have a measuring tape to hand but here's a picture:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COnsB31WEAA2TOX.jpg
  • You really could've minimized that a lot more. Those JST connectors at least should've come out.
  • If I had the soldering skills for it I would have put a lipo charger wired directly up to the edison on its own, which would make the whole thing way smaller.

Sadly my soldering skills suck.
  • That level of soldering skill is pretty basic, you should be able to do that much or find someone who will pretty easily.
  • Have you seen how small the pins are on the edison?
  • https://www.adafruit.com/products/2227 < this is the connector it uses, it's not a simple thing to do
  • edited September 2015
    Kind of reminds me of a mini-PCIe connector; I had a netbook with a spare on eof those sucker, and I couldn't get my soldering skill to the level neede dso I hocked it and bought on with a 3G/SIM card adapter soldered on rather than try to make it myself.

If it's just a charger, isn't it just a matter of wiring in the +-5V traces according to USB standards? Please don't think I'm being a nay-sayer this time, I srsly want to see some cool GitS shit come from this particular project!
  • On the breakout board that'd be simple, but on the actual edison itself it wouldn't be.

For those not familiar with it, the edison itself only has the 70-pin connector on it, to get USB you need to use a breakout board.
  • I see...The Edison is the SD-card-sized micro-computer, right? What about hitting up a lcoal makerlab to have someone there wire up the 2-3 traces needed for the project?
  • That'd be cool if there was a local one, not a lot in my area.

Annoying as I asked around in the local LUG and got told that numerous people attempted to setup a hackerspace and couldn't find a venue.
  • wow, that sucks...like, a LOT. I know there's a pretty useful makerlab here in my town, I just haven't had a good reason to bug them yet (also I may or may not have a srsbsns insomnia issue that makes me utterly useless during normal-people-hours). If you can get me the traces needed and any relevant info like wire guage or voltages required, I will take it down to them and chat it up and if that pans out I'll grab an Edison and have someone wire it up for you. It would srsly depress me to see this project fall flat due to a lack of local resources when we have so many people all over the place that could "chip in" in terms of IRL time and mileage.
  • Well anything you need designed and assembled I can do pretty readily. If I had known you were going to do something that big I would've offered to make a base board for it. You don't need 90% of that bottom board, and a board with a LiPO handler and a rectifier/regulator combo for the inductive charger would be much smaller. maybe a square inch, two tops.
  • I can always cut the coating off and redo it with a smaller board, if you'd be willing to make such a board we should talk.
  • I'm around if you want to talk about a design.
  • Perhaps on IRC?
    irc.freenode.net #biohack - i'm GarethTheGreat
  • My electric guru is suggesting inductive charge to a solid state ultra capacitor, smaller lighter and longer service life
  • I've looked into supercaps, but they're more expensive and i'm unsure on capacity. Lipo batteries do last a decent length of time if you don't allow them to drain completely.
  • edited September 2015
    I'm hunting for the experimental method and data for a magnesium-graphene super-cap I saw mentioned in an article I was skimming through. I think it was 1/5 the thickness of a sheet of paper, and survived 8000 flex-cycles with no degradation. It also reportedly had efficiency comparable to that of modern lipo cells. Not that I don't mind taking risks, but personally, It'd have to be significantly more expensive(in the thousand dollar range for one unit) to make me choose a lipo over a graphene super-cap. Smaller, lighter, and less likely to cause serious problems if it fails after implantation.
  • and people thought my implant was big :p What are you going to be using for the bio safe coating on top of this?
  • Been talking on IRC a lot about it and i'm probably going to have something a lot smaller for the actual implant thanks to ElectricFeel and ThomasEgi - for bioproof coating i'm still exploring options but the current choices are:

dental resin glass ionomer
    heat shrink tubing
    silicone