Magnets not very sensitive

edited September 2015 in Magnets
So I had two magnets installed by Brian Decker back in November and everything was great. But, now I just feel like my magnets aren't as sensitive as they should be. I can feel my computer, microwave, etc. (but I have to put my hand pretty close). However, I remember reading about people being able to feel security systems in stores, electrical equipment underground, and other things like this. I cannot feel any of these objects. I just want to see if my magnets are less sensitive than they should be, if thats the case I would probably implant a m31 and see if I have better luck. Thanks for any help!
Tagged:

Comments

• Yeah you're not going to be able to feel those objects. If you do, you're imagining it. Magnetic fields fall off extremely quickly, even huge magnetic fields (think MRI) you need to be fairly close to feel them.
  • @bciuser Thank you so much, I have been worrying that something was wrong this whole time.
  • Don't go testing that MRI though... the second you enter that field, your magnet is gone. It that field is yards away, not inches/feet.
  • Actually, Cassox tested this out and that's not true. There is a picture somewhereon the forum here of him with his hand in an MRI. It's not fun, but it's not all ripped out either...
  • I'd like to know more about the MRI's effects on the magnets. @glims, do you know where I can find that picture?
  • louisville13  Some of those stories about sensing things are not true, but some are true. I can feel the motors in trams I'm riding, large currents in extension cables, and some shop security systems, but only a few, most I can't feel.
  • I still want to get some data on frequency response and strength from a few people.

From what I gather oscillatory fields are most commonly sensed, with some strong gradients being mentioned.

I would like to know some actually field values for sensitivity. If I could make it to a grindfest I would build a rig with varying fields and do some trials, but you guys are way too far off.