Real Baraka Possible??

2»

Comments

• haha Cassox getting shut down is not something you see every day XD good on you @TheGreyKnight   i love this thread!
  • @Dragon5, I don't think that's quite what happened...

I've often thought an implanted LESS-lethal weapon might be legitimately useful, like a taser (some kind of well-insulated subdermal taser that discharges via transdermal contacts on your palm or knuckles, maybe? Built-in "shock gloves"?). And while other people were still trying to figure out how to make implanted ballistic armor work, some of us moved on to slightly more pragmatic versions that just made the human body a little more resistant in weak spots against things that people tend to die from. Like exsanguination from small cuts in important places. These things "can" be useful/legitimate, they just tend to draw out the fantasy thoughts more readily than implanting magnets do at this point - but magnets were the same way back when, they've just become more well-understood and commonplace.
  • Well, I guess the general policy here is to not judge what a person wants, just the feasibility and methodology/design. I mean, a lot of stuff does come down to desire. I think the thermal rfids are cool. I don't see them to be any better than an external unit. I don't see use for an internal usb.. but this isn't important. There are those who do see utility and the process of working together toward a feasible design is valuable.

That said, I don't personally think weapons are something to strive towards. I'd work on something like a knife implant or something mostly because I perceive it as being more of an art endeavor than anything. It's simply not that useful in reality.
  • Now I'm just thinking of assassins creed.......
  • Haha @Zombiegristle i was just poking fun :P i think Cassox knows that 
  • An implanted blade would be less useful than a held blade anyway. Less reach, less control. The only advantages would be concealability (if it retracts) or not being able to be disarmed easily (if it doesn't)
  • Any heavy impact on a weapon like that would bruise you internally or tear through your skin. Unless you anchored it to the bone. Also if anyone did this theyd have to forget about taking plane rides, being admitted to many events, etc. Maybe some food for thought.
  • And if you anchored it to your bone, you'd break it doing much more than knocking on a door. The radius and ulna are NOT very strong bones. Go place half of your forearm (from the elbow) on a counter with the rest sticking off the edge. Now have someone slap down just above your wrist, like you're trying to slap a volleyball.

After the ensuing trip to the ER, you might even already have metal reinforcements in your forearm now. Please don't try to attach a knife to them.
  • It would be cool to be Wang the human unicorn. http://www.thehumanmarvels.com/horned-humans-wang-the-human-unicorn/

Except I'd be a binicorn.

Maybe this isn't related...
  • very nice project
  • Okay, what if we leave knives and guns where they are and think about something more useful, like an electric arc lighter?
  • because you can just keep a lighter in your pocket?
  • I mean, I carry a Zippo everywhere and I don't even smoke. ^^ It's just useful and fun to play with.

Okay, perhaps a change of pace. Would it be at all possible to simply graph on a section of material into bone that would be flush with the skin? Say (and I realise the impracticality, but for sake of argument) you took a bone, graphed on a section to just flush of your skin, had it transdermally stable, and then to that anchoring/bolting a flat plate with breakaway capacity to act as the failure point under load. Say, using x or y type of adhesive.

I mean at this point, layer a magnet into it and you have the magnetic suspension capabilities without the time limit. I'd have a place for my keys! Xd
  • At the risk of being causing more laughter :)

I would be interested in getting a retractable implant. A scalpel or small flat multi tool that came out from under the nail bed of the middle finger on my dominant hand would be quite useful.

I guess technically you could use it as a slashing weapon if you really felt the need, but a basic mini utility knife that could by brought out and put away at will would have practical uses if the problems of infection and control could be answered. Kind of like fingernail plus, sharper, harder, longer, retractable and with a firmer anchor.

(cue the jokes about "harder, longer, retractable"...) 

I tend to think that a totally fixed mount would be a bad idea, something modular so you could replace the blade or swap it for a screwdriver or other tool etc would be better.

I'd also want the attachment to be something that would release under pressure, so if too much torque is applied the blade or whatever would pop off... something like a nylon clip attachment.

Not much room to work with in a finger tip though... 

I did experiment with mounting a jewellers screwdriver onto my finger nail with glue some years ago, it was surprisingly useful once I got the hang of using it, but the nail bed didn't let me put as much pressure on it as a I wanted, and of course it was not retractable so it got in the way when not in use.

The most reasonable argument against it I've heard against the idea was that you might accidentally cut/hurt yourself in your sleep. But I found with my nail attachment I could scratch with it and after only a couple of days I'd adjusted to it and used it very gently without even thinking. 
  • @Zerbula I've read that prosthetic implants, bones, and implant support structures are more and more often being created from various combinations of biopolymers and freeze dried cadaver bone. A lot of it "biodegrades" in the body if it's used to support tissue while it heals, but bone analogues used for replacement have been getting a lot more attention over traditional materials. So theoretically, a bone structure like you're talking about is probably almost doable.

One of the papers I read was about 3D printing bone-shaped lattices to replace diseased and missing bones. The idea was that it serves as a support structure for native bone to grow into the mesh. The paper discussed the problems of 3D printing such a structure and how to design one with supports so it came out right on the printer bed.
  • @DirectorX its a bicorn not binicorn... just clarifying.