time in my wrist

2»

Comments

• Printing a battery with a 3D-printer is not that easy due to the fact that it has many complex parts and liquids as well. Also we would need a 3D-model at first wich sounds easier than it is.
    I used to have a 3D-printer in my school when I did my apprenticeship but was unable to use it cause I couldn't create a functioning model.

I didn't get the point of the binary watch. It's still the same principle but harder to read. But I liked the Bluetooth-idea! But with that we would need a system software, wouldn't we? With a simple button to set the watch we wouldn't.
  • U could just use a biofuel cell to power it, there are certain enzymes you can put on electrodes that burn off glucose, to power the clock
  • Has anyone considered the use of a system similar to what is in use in automatic watches? A small counterweight rotates during standard wrist motion while walking, which in turn winds the watch. Given the minute amount of power used by RTC circuits (seriously, a coin cell can keep an RTC chip and a low power binary LED display going for years, especially if it's not always-on), one would think you could miniaturize a similar system using a spinning magnet wafer and coils to generate enough to charge a small coin cell type battery.

You'd need to find a way to completely house it in a biocompatible compound (possibly Teflon or PTFE to reduce friction on the rotor?), but I believe you could potentially make the system quite thin, possibly only 2 or 3 millimetres tall.
  • concerning powering implants we have the power tag : http://forum.biohack.me/discussions/tagged/power
  • Just an idea but why does it have to be visible? Could you possibly make it into something you can read by touch (maybe with little pins that spell out the time) that you could feel through your skin with your finger and thus save energy on making the thing emit light through the skin.
  • That sounds like it could use even MORE power than a display. The display don't have to be complex, just enough to show the time, aside from a single led using a blinking code to tell the time I think a display is the best option.
  • A single electrode pair as output remains the best option in terms of power. Also integrates well into the body.
  • Yes Chloride, that's exactly what I meant in my introduction by a watch that recharges itself by movement ;)
    And BMedSci, I'm sorry but I agree with Avanthus: That sound's like it needs even more power than a simple LED-Watch.
  • Off-topic, but Chloride's profile picture is from the book Neuromancer by William Gibson. It's a great book.
  • What about wireless charging. You could have the device fully impanted thus dodging the transdermal infections. My idea would be a rechargeable bracelet you could wear over night to charge the implant. A friend of mine has a smart watch that charges this way. He says it takes about 6 hours to charge completely. Your device would take less power.
  • Wireless charging does work. I have my bluetooth implant working with wireless charging (not implanted yet) and it works awesome. it does get a little bit warm but nothing that would be an issue. I just took apart a qi adapter that was in a old phone case.
  • Would those kinds of magentic fields be detrimental to your skin? 
  • Carterex no, we have radio waves that travel through us all the time. I would say its about as bad as standing next to your wifi device.
  • @glims @Cassox I'm gone for  awhile and nothings happened! What ever became of the resin or epoxy coating idea? I still think it would be the best idea if you can find a biosafe mix.
  • @Carterex: All of the suggestions were wireless ;)
    And a smart watch is'n implanted that's what makes it much easier to recharge it.