frequency implants

So I'm new to this forum and am severely under experienced in the field of biohacking, so I apologize in advance. I was doing some reading and have noticed that I can't find any information having to do with sound or frequencies of different objects. Knowing that all objects give off a specific frequency, I was wondering if it would be possible for one to create an implant that gives off a certain frequency. The use would be to detect objects of a similar frequency. so playing a note on a piano that matches the frequency of the implant would cause the implant to oscillate, giving the user the ability to distinguish certain frequencies.
        This is a very juvenile concept, and I don't currently have funds to figure this out grinder style, but I was just wondering if the idea seems plausible. I have thought of other uses for this, but the main idea is to recognize the reaction in the implant to certain musical notes, or even more advanced, objects themselves. Reactions to a note that is out of tune would give off weaker reactions, in tune would be the strongest, etc, that is my hypothesis. Maybe an object about the size and shape of a battery for a wristwatch, inside would be a spring or needle pressed against the inside wall. When the frequencies match, the spring's movement might be detectable. Implant could go into an arm if it were small enough, I'm more concerned as to whether this idea is feasible first though, implantation techniques/location second. I understand that my design may be flawed, critique as you wish, I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• Hi, welcome to the board.

Reading your idea I'm not exactly sure what you desire. Objects don't just give off specific frequencies (of sound i guess?). You'd have to excite them first (for example by knocking around on them), and then you can get a response. Talking about the audible response, I'm not quite sure why you need an implant for it when you have ears and an auditory cortex (healthy ones I hope) which surpass most of the microphones and signal processors commonly available.
  • I could see using it to "hear" tones that are out of the human ears capability. I don't think I'd like to hear a dog whistle though.

Perhaps maybe to pick up an something in the way of sonar would be cool. You get closer to it the stronger the vibration on the ping back.

• Hmm, this kindof gives me an idea, where when two implants of similar function come into range (5 feet or so), they vibrate slightly, or they give off an EMF for those with magnets to feel.
    It'd be like a secret handshake, and Grinders would know there's another grinder nearby.
    unfortunately I don't have what it takes to design this, i'm just a concept artist. lol
  •           I guess I was taking more of a different approach. I get that we can hear all of these pitches anyway, but having an implant that reacts to a certain note on a musical scale. More of a way to distinguish the note, like "oh, that was a C." If you are listening to a song, you have to have a good amount of experience to list off the notes that singer hit while just listening to it, so it would be a start to that. A lot of music theorists can distinguish the notes in a song by listening to the difference in a note that they already know. Like if you tell them the first note is a Bb, they could listen to that note and the next note, and by hearing the difference in the note, they will be able to tell you what the second note is. I know this may not be the most useful idea for everyone, but being an instrumentalist, I found it interesting.
              Nikola Tesla invented a machine that matches frequencies and amplifies them. He would start by finding a building natural frequency and matching it with the machine, and then amplifying it. this caused the building to have an amplified reaction, and eventually the building will be vibrating enough that it crumbles.
    Definitely take a look here
     http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread351060/pg1
    If anything can come about this or frequency detection, that would be interesting I think. If in that document, he could fit the machine in his coat pocket in 1935, what could we do 80 years later?
  • He wants a resonant implant. Feasible, but probably not as dramatic as you'd like. The skin damps a lot of vibration.

As for Tesla's amp, it's something that can be built but won't be dramatic at all. Piezos can be used to stabilize or destabilize a system. Some of the more advanced buildings in cali use this mechanism in reverse, when there's an earthquake they produce a counterwave to damp the shocks.
  • Resonance can work against you too as you said it could destroy the implant because it would be at that frequency. It also could be what is needed for an echolocation/sonar. It would be a very fine line. If your interested in just musical notes I would suggest an easier thing of just learning the notes or using the handheld tuning devices that are out there.

• If this were an electronics-free implant it would be a tuning fork inside a cavity and when there was a resonant frequency the fork would vibrate the whole case. Am I understanding correctly? I don't see this working as an electronic-free implant because an audible frequency would require a large piece of metal, but someone should correct me if I'm wrong.
    A microphone and frequency detector connected to a vibrating motor could do the trick. Then you could, for example, tune a guitar to your built-in frequency detector then tune the rest of the strings according to that.
    Fortunately skin only dampens sounds and doesn't shift the frequency.
    This would be exciting because after a bit you would synchronize with your implant and maybe start to recognize that frequency without the help of your implant. If that's the case this would be a great wearable piece of tech for musicians. With that said, develop a wearable version and see how useful it is. Something worn on a wrist like a watch or just carried in your pocket.
  • edited August 2015
    Yes, @McSTUFF !!! That is more of what I am going for. Having almost a decade of extensive music study(not music theory), I have gotten better at discerning notes, but few musicians are perfect. The best I've heard was a pianist with severe autism and he could listen to any piece once and play it again flawlessly, even in different keys to the original. The musicians with better ears for determining the exact note are still flawed, like if a song is played in a very obscure key, their ears are thrown off and are more likely to misinterpret a note. I guess the main sense of worth this would have would be to tune sections or single instruments. I understand it is unnecessary because smartphone apps exist for that, but I am happy that the concept seems plausible! I also agree with the electronic idea, and having the vibrating motor subdermal is really out of the question for most people. Having the basic tuning fork would be amazing, but your comment about the large piece of metal is correct.
  • Let's say this is programmed to recognize 261.63Hz, middle C.
    Whenever a tone is detected by your hardware for 10 cycles the vibrator would activate for 1/10 of a second. It won't make sense to try to measure frequency while vibrating. So, if you're in the presence of a constant tone your implant will pulse.
    I suggest exactly following the Instructable I linked earlier and understanding everything that is happening there. Then attach a cell phone vibrator so you could put the whole thing in a case and carry it for a couple days. The case should simulate some of the sound dampening effect your skin will have. Once you decide that this project is truly useful, miniaturize the whole thing with smaller components. If this could be the size of a wrist watch you'll be doing pretty well and you should have a good idea of what's happening under the hood. Finally, if this is still something you want to keep developing start to look at the process for making it into an implant.
    Putting yourself through two prototype stages should give you an idea of what to expect and time to debug it and make it implant worthy. Because, if you're going to put something under your skin it had better be close to perfect.
  • I second that. If you're gonna do this, do it right. I do think it'd be cool if there was an rfid size implant that would give ya a tingle or something when a fellow grinder was around. Would make it very cloak and dagger and all that but still quite fun. Doubt it's possible though, least for now.
  • It should be feasible to have a motor that pulses when the RFID is read  it would need some accumulator hardware, but it's doable.
  • I will definitely try grinding it soon, sometime after I buy my college books! Thanks guys! You have all really helped with bringing this project closer to reality, and I'll keep you posted on how the trial runs go!