Unlock phone RFID/NFC implant

luxlux
edited March 2015 in RFID/NFC
So guys I just got my rfid/nfc implant in my left hand.  not the normal spot, but in the top center.
First order of business was unlocking my phone with it, not a easy thing to do on android 4.2.2.
I have not seen a post about it here before so ill write up the steps.
Tagged:

Comments

• Not sure what method you used to unlock your phone but you might be interested in checking out the Exposed Framework for Android.  It has a module called NFC LockScreenOff Enabler which makes it really easy to set up the NFC unlock.  I messed around with alot of apps and methods for doing it and this seemed to be the easiest one that I tried by far.
  • Easy peasy
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.t3hh4xx0r.nfcsecure_base|
    I use this about 60 timer per day to unlock my phone.
    I'm curious how your placement works out. Keep us updated!
  • Why not use the xposed module? you can keep your default stock pattern/pin/whatevs lock, and use the implant unlock alongside it
  • I also recommend the xposed-module. It works nice with device encryption, so you can use strong passphrases while unlocking the phone quickly at the same time.

Anyway, it is not really good as it seems to just take the tags id to unlock.
    R
    I haven't found a solution yet, that really benefits of, let's say, the 800+ bytes of the ntag216.
  • Comment deleted for bad link and spamminess.
  • On 5.0/5.1 there's the convenient trusted devices option for bluetooth + nfc. It doesn't immediately unlock it, it just disables whatever lock method you have when the tag is nearby.
  • The problem with unlocking is that the nfc tag (Sticker) antenna has a flat shape that can be read easy with your phone. The implanted tag antenna is slim and shaped like a stick so its not easy to find the sweet spot of your phone.

I used the xposed module but dont felt satisfied with it.
  • Finding the sweet spot on your phone isn't tough. Sometimes phone makers will put the NFC logo right over it. The rest of the time you can make a simple antenna out of some magnet (varnished) wire and an LED.

LED Antenna photo 2015-06-24 10.44.24_zpsyw5szmlb.jpg

This was made by wrapping magnet wire approximately 15 times around a pink rectangular pencil eraser then soldering an LED to the ends. It pulses when the coil is over my phone's NFC antenna.
  • I'm planning on also getting a nfc implant and wanted to know where everyone has them. I'm thinking about going on the side of my middle finger second knuckle. Is this a bad idea?
  • I know one person with an NFC implant on her pinkie and I haven't heard a complaint about that location. It allows her to easily rest the outside of her hand on a reader, like a deadbolt. Her husband has his NFC between his right thumb and index finger, in the soft squishy area but he has a difficult time reaching the deadbolt.

Mine is between thumb and index finger on my left hand and works well for unlocking a phone.

Why did you choose middle finger?
  • edited July 2015
    probably because he did no research on where other people put their rfid tags
  • Or because that could be a good location to unlock certain phones without needing to tap it to the back of your hand? Or using one of those fancy deadbolts without needing to use the back of your hand?

I almost went the same route for unlocking my phone, but picked up some NTAG203 glass capsules and taped one to my finger for testing, and that did not work for quickly unlocking my phone at all.
  • Yes, it's because that is where most nfc reads on phones are. And that is my main reason behind it. If i wanted to also unlock a door I will get another tag. I'm fine with rittling my body with tags, magnets and whatever else I or anyone else comes up with.
  • It's pretty hard to get those tags to read right with your phone, and the finger is probably an awkward location if it doesn't work well. I'd recommend picking up some 10mm x 2mm NTAG203 glass tags from China (just use alibaba or something) and tape one to your finger to settle on an implant spot that works well. Those should be very similar to xNT as far as reading them goes, and you can pick them up pretty cheap.

If you don't want to deal with ordering from China, I think I have a few still lying around from when I tried it and could mail a couple.
  • Guys, NFC/RFID tags are NOT a secure way to unlock/encrypt your devices.
    Do NOT do it.
    A single handshake with gloves and an RFID reader can render your whole device completely owned.
    The only case of a KINDA secure tag is the xNT, which has 32bit password, which will just take time to crack (so a handshake is not enough, there have to be tested 2^32 passwords, which is about 4 million).
    Non cryptographically enabled tags should NOT be used for security purposes.
  • Not to really bash anything but there is a part of you comment @dzervas you are forgetting. Yes a simple hand shake could cost you a secured acces BUT they also need the device for it to mean anything AND they would need to know you even have the implant in the hand in the first place.

Having those two things on your side make it actually quite secure because they need those two things to "completely own" your device. I would be more worried about card closers walking down the street then this.

Good luck @benbeezy
  • "Security only needs to be a little stronger than the desire to break it."
    If someone stole my phone they would get some embarrassing text messages I've sent my girlfriend. :-|
    I don't have my PayPal password saved on the device or credit card information so there's no incentive to steal and crack my phone. In my case this is good enough.
    If someone had sensitive information on his or her phone then my level of security would be insufficient. 
    @dzervas, you mentioned you are a security nut so my method would not be enough whereas @Meanderpaul is probably in the same mindset as me.

TL;DR - Tailor your security to your own needs. @dzervas wants a lot. I encourage you to find it.
  • You also have to make sure you don't lose sight of the forest for the trees...My favorite example is people worrying over the security of RFID/NFC for door locks. Sure, someone COULD steal my chip and gain authorized entry to whatever lies beyond the door. OR, they could just throw a big rock through my window right NEXT to the door.
  • edited July 2015
    @zombiegristle it's so much about the practical for me as about the "research".
    I want to make the door open with a challenge-response of RSA-8k key
    it's safer than a key. it's easier than a key.
    bit it's not safe enough for a door (for me)...
    I think that it's a way of evolution for biohack, we should implant smartcard-like things (such as a SIM) instead of a plain RFID.
  • The other issue is that you're still dealing with a key here, all they have to do is take the key from you and then it's easy to break in.
  • no, it's not.
    If we're talking about a smartcard, you can't read the private key or you need a pin and after the 3rd wrong time it locks itself.
  • for a house lock you could do something more like 2 step verification. have you lock set up for that your phone has to connect to the wifi in your house and your tag must be present. If both things are true then unlock else stay locked. So yes, having a tag as 2 step in that way would be more safe then a real key. You could even do something like if your phone is within GPS range of your place. you could do as much as you want, maybe you also have a magnetic switch in the handle so your magnets in your finger also have to hit a switch, that could be 3 step verification thats easy for you and very difficult for someone else to hack.
  • When I said key, I was talking about the chip. It's tougher to steal than a standard key, but 5 seconds with a scalpel and you're missing a chunk of hand.

My point is, if someone wants to break into your house enough, they will attack the weakest link. Which is always going to be you physically.
  • zombiegristle then, breaking a window is your weakest link for sure.
  • can't forget even if you have security systems they run on power and if needed that can be bypassed simply cut the power and we can't forget the old window open sensors and how simple it is to confuse them.
  • You can always find a flaw no matter what. The easiest thing you can do is not broadcast that you have something worth stealing and how you have it secured. If they don't know how you access it then they can't take a key.

Have an old key hole but don't have it go to anything I guarantee a guy picking it will be confused why nothing is happening. Then just put an RFID reader on the trim and have it "camouflaged" with the trim or set back so you don't even know it's there unless it was you who put it there.
  • Security through obscurity is zero kinds of reliable.
  • interesting little bit you found there @mcstuff I obviously would not recommend just having one measure of security but imagine a reader strong enough to pick up your chip when you step on the front porch so you aren't waving to a wall. Surely you have to admit that isn't going to be observed by a would be thief. It will just look like you stepped on the porch.