Flashlight?

Hello, everyone! I'm brand new to the community (please forgive/direct me towards any improper protocol so that I can correct it for the future), but have been interested in all of this for a very long time. I'm not particularly familiar with any of the technical designs or details, although I am attempting to make myself as knowledgeable as possible. I'm an insurance agent by trade and a write by passion (read: fast talking dreamer). That said, after reading an older post about an LED watch shining through the skin, and then on the subject of @Glims test implant, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to do something along the lines of a penlight. Small, but practical. Possibly implanted in the shoulder, with induction as the charging method, and a magnet activated switch.

Just as a reference, I have had no implants, although I intend to get a magnet by the end of the year.
Tagged:

Comments

• The first issue I see is getting a meaningful amount of light through the skin without a transdermal.
  • What if the light itself wasn't actually under the skin, but slightly protruding? Is there a way to properly have the skin seal around the implant but not over it?
  • If you use specifically red light you should get more penetration. Red light is also good for working in the dark without disturbing others as well, i.e. reading in bed with a sleeping partner.

What is the use case?
  • Just basic use. Just finding your way in the dark, night time reading, or even something like a bartender looking for something in a dark cooler/dimly lit bar. 
  • I think red light would work great then. I would worry mostly about the implicit issue making light means emitting heat. Not sure what the sensitivity to the inside of the epidermis to heat, but it could be uncomfortable.

This seems to be relevant but pay-walled.
  • edited June 2015
    Not to kill the idea, but as has been discussed in the past with solar cells, subdermal lasers, and the like, skin is an abysmal conductor of light. It's designed not to let as little light through as possible, among other things. As such, if you're set on putting anything other than blinky lights that'll make your skin kinda glow (being a walking rave party would look cool, but would be largely useless in this application), transdermal is your best bet. I image it would be fairly easy to make a small titanium case with all the batteries and circuitry you'd need to power a powerful LED, that unscrewed(or opened in a similar fashion) at the top, allowing you to replace the battery at will, without having to deal with induction, or other complicated things. Simple, to the point, and fairly easy to maintain.
  • @TheGreyKnight I was actually thinking about something like that last night. That would also give the option to change out LEDs if I wanted to. I was kind of thinking transdermal to begin with, I just wasn't totally sure if that was the correct way to describe it. As I said before, I don't know a whole lot about the technical aspects, I was just thinking that it could be both cool and practical.
  • If the point is to have a flashlight ready at all times why not get a standard dermal anchor or surface piercing and use that as a mounting point for your flashlight? At this point it's not an implant but you can swap modules at will. It wouldn't even have to be rechargeable and you would still have your flashlight ready to go at a moment's notice.
    In a survivalist scenario it would be just as handy.
    I know it loses most of the wow factor but it's still handy and you can get the piercing easily. Then it's a matter of using it as a mounting point for your light and then building the light.
    Later down the road you can use the mounting point for a temperature sensor or a distance sensor.
  • @McSTUFF I really like that idea. Definitely a much more utilitarian idea.I was definitely thinking about it in terms of being impressive as well as useful, but I think that is just as impressive in its own right. I'll definitely look into it.