Voice Change Implant

edited May 2015 in Everything else
I've been fascinated lately by evil/scary voices - Megatron, Scream, etc. - and got to thinking about voice changers and how one could be designed and/or implanted in the neck.

So far I've come up with nothing except that it would pretty much just vibrate (not sure how well that would alter the voice) and it would probably be quite dangerous to implant unless you knew what you were doing. Also, implanting beside the voice box (not in the walls, etc.) means that anything we design will be either ineffective or so powerful as to cause irritation when used.

So, am I just missing something obvious, or is this a pipe dream?
Tagged:

Comments

• if you're having surgery in your neck to change your voice such a surgery already exists. they inject fat into the vocal cords and it changes how they vibrate and subsequently your voice. I don't think you could do this electronically without removing your vocal cords and replacing them with an electronic version which would need to be incredibly complicated 
  • I was thinking more of an 'on demand' basis - like the electric vocal chords. Unfortunately that's not something someone would volunteer for if they had a perfectly functional voice box. Even more unfortunately, that seems like the only way to acheive the idea.
  • I think this is doable. The electrolarynx has been around for a long time. Its a bit big, but probably has components that can be downsized by now. It might also work if you implanted it where the clavicles meet (maybe?).