I Can Feel Gasoline Engines Firing?

edited May 2015 in Magnets
So now that it is summer again, I have started landscaping. Today I was using a hand held gasoline blower and I noticed I could feel the engine firing from about 7 inches away. I instantly went and started up the truck, popped the hood, and stuck my hand in. At first I couldn't feel anything, but when I moved my hand over the pistons I could feel each individual piston firing. I was wondering if anyone knew why? I mean engines aren't run on electricity...maybe its just from the metal in the piston moving up and down? I honestly have no idea. If anyone knows and could tell me that would be awesome. Also, are there any other cool things anyone has figured out they could feel through their magnets?
Tagged:

Comments

• I don't know too much about spark plugs, but maybe you're feeling them fire?
  • Engines may not run on electricity, but electricity does play an integral role in their operation. Considering how much power gets dumped through each spark plug to generate a single spark, it's not too surprising. 
  • @zombiegristle @thegreyknight So you think all Im feeling is the spark plugs? Thats not nearly as cool as I thought it was originally :p
  • Depends. How old is the truck?
  • The things is about a handheld 2stroke is that it has a big whirling flywheel with a magnet on it. You're probably feeling that.

• Well, it's probably just the spark plugs and ignition wiring, then.
  • It is a gasoline engine, right? Not diesel?
  • Yes, it is a gasoline engine @electricfeel. And thanks @thegreyknight I was really curious, I guess I forgot spark plugs run on electricity.
  • Yay! Finally something something I can contribute to!

Spark plugs run on about 30,000V (average figure, can vary either way). If you're able to find the coil feeding the lead to the distributor, you'll feel the same thing, as that's where the voltage is multiplied through mutual induction. If it doesn't have leads going to the spark plugs (it just has some plugs with connectors on it that press onto the spark plug), then that voltage multiplication is happening right there at the spark plug, so if you could count the pulses, you could theoretically figure out the rpm of the engine (that's over 100 pulses per second though, so good luck. Haha).

Also, sometimes the injectors run a high amperage, depending on what type they are, but not high enough to feel, I don't think.
  • @Alternate Wow I had no idea spark plugs had that much voltage running through them. You should go try feeling it for yourself (if you have implants) it is really cool. It feels like you have a little engine running in your finger tips :p
  • Will do @louisville13. I'll give it a go at work today!
  • edited June 2016
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd like to elaborate, as a Certified Stihl technician:

Yes, sparkplugs pass about 30k volts through it to generate an arc.

Yes, there is a magnet (or even on some units, pairs of magnets) in the flywheels. To go on a side tangent, some chainsaws have magnets facing N-S and S-N on the other side, have fun feeling these. ^^

I am not sure how the ignition module would feel in this, it's effectively acting like a transformer though. but yes, DC firing at say, full rev on a chainsaw... 12-15k RPM, which means you are feeling that Flux approximately 13.5k times per minute, or roughly between 200-250 times per second with a chainsaw at full rev. 225Hz sounds like fun. ^^

A car's engine will work exactly the same, each time a plug fires its going to be passing voltage. Cars fire significantly slower than chainsaws, Say about 1k at idle.... Driving habits vary. I don't like to push my little tacoma over 3k for no reason, That's me. >~> 3kRPM is really only firing every other stroke, so about 25Hz. Not nearly as pronounced. 

I have never had it happen, but yes... TECHNICALLY a chainsaw can electrocute you to death, but I've never ran across anyone to do so x-x

I was always super excited, working with power tools ALL the time, to see if this was detectable. I'm extremely excited to proceed with magnets now. XD