Magnetic toe implant

edited May 2015 in Magnets
I was curious, has anyone tried implanting a magnet into a toe yet? The minor toes are a bit small in terms of real estate, but the big toe should have a decent amount of room. 
Tagged:

Comments

• It was briefly mentioned in this thread, and in one other which I haven't found yet. 
  • Under the toenail seems pretty harsh to actually do, that's a rough area to get to.
  • So unless you happen to use your toe to feel objects I can't see how this could possibly be a good idea.
  • When I was reading about the experiences people have with their implants, a lot of them commented on noticing underground things like airhandlers and subway cars. If the magnet was closer to the ground, couldn't you pick up weaker signals such as live wires and possibly even large masses of metal?
  • Unlike signals from above, underground stuff has more crap to pass through and also you always have pressure on your foot so it'd be more difficult to move he magnet itself. The pressure could make it more sensitive thought but for most uses it wouldn't help. Most things that you'll notice are at hand height rather than ground level. may be good for finding things in sand but otherwise can't see it being useful. Hands are good for exploring and ears are good for hearing things. toes not so much.
  • I've also read accounts of feeling passing subway cars... supposedly from street level even. I've also heard account of people sensing nuclear power plants from eight miles away. If it isn
    t bullshit, then it might be a kind of placebo wishful thinking type of event. Magnetic fields fall off very very quickly.

If one is going to try this..go for the M63 if not something larger wear thin soled shoes.
  • I was really considering going for a toe before a finger; I'm a frequent climber at my gym's rock wall, and I put pretty much my full body weight on every part of my fingers. Anywhere I stuck a magnet would likely be subject to a bit of force, unless I went way high on the outside edge. Comparing relative pain between ripping off a toenail and just slicing open a finger gives me pause though.
  • Heyall, first time post here, just my experience:
    I've got one in my finger, and I can personally attest to noticing underground fields (I assumed they were generators?). There are two near where I work downtown, I notice them daily when walking. Nuclear plants from 8 miles away? Sounds questionable ...
    As for the toe, sounds awful. If you're big into climbing, maybe get into contact with Brian Decker. He did my implant in NY, and he's an avid climber—he recently moved his implant into a different spot in his finger for that reason I believe.
  • I am curious as to whether the toe has as much nerves for it to work with a magnetic implant as effectively as the fingers.
  • Well that's easy to answer. No, feet and tired have no where near the sensitivity. This can be shown through looking at the relative size of sensory homunculus in the primary sensory cortex. It doesn't mean it won't work, but just not nearly with the same degree of sensitivity.
  • So it looks like going for a well thought out finger implant would be a better choice.
  • That depends on what you're trying to achieve. A high end European sports car is "better" than my car in many ways. Why don't I drive one? I mean, a magnet in the feet/toes might be excellent for something. It would be an easier place to wear an interface for sure. If you want to feel the environment beneath you it's like the only option. But it will not provide the degree of sensitivity that a finger would. They are different things all together imo. Apples and Oranges, not better or worse.
  • Toes would be great for space! I could see them working for underground stuff and engines of cars because your feet sit so close to the block. What I don't think anyone is thinking of is the rock in your shoe factor. It took several months for my fingers to settle in. I would not want that feeling in my foot. Just a thought!
  • Is there really much to feel from an engine? I don't picture them having large magnetic fields.
  • Engine no (gas engine), generator/inductor yes.
  • And perhaps the alternator in your engine. And if it's a very old engine, the charge-coils for the spark plugs.