[EMERGENCY] Help please, I did something really stupid with my magnetic implants!

edited April 2015 in Magnets
Today my implants are exactly 2 weeks old. While one of them is in a bad state since all that time the other one seemed to heal just fine, The skin at the incision point looked very good. But yesterday it happened: I meeted with some friends at a local river and we drunk a bit and grilled some meat (and vegetables for the ones that don't eat meat). It was fun and all but I didn't really look how much I drunk and as I didn't really drunk the last months at the end I was pretty drunken. Now I'm also a pyromaniac so after grilling we started a camping fire and I did my best to keep it burning like shit.

I think you already get to the conclusion: Going near fire while being drunken... The result is 1st grade burnings (so just slighly red skin) around 5 mm away from the points where the implants are, the good looking incision point breaking up, fluid drying into the bandage... So when I came home and wanted to change the bandage they already glued together. I tried to use Octenisept to get it into a wet state again but large parts of the young skin where ripped off. I can't really tell how deep the wounds are now, I could've used my last surgical blade to check (the last sterile tool I had) but feared doing more damage than good with that. So I just putted a bit of Tyrosur-Gel (see http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/870/tyrosur-gel-as-aftercare-for-implantss ) onto it and bandaged it again. Today it was the same: dried fluid at the bandage. I ran to my local pharmacy and buyed steristripes (well, they had none of them available, so they gave me leukostrips, I'm pretty sure they don't glue that good), silicone coated protective wound dressing (not sure if that's the right term, in german it's called "Wunddistanzgitter") - also not available but they'll get them later this day,  these finger condoms ("Stülpa"/"Fingerverband" in german) and Ibus (400 mg). Then I cleaned everything again, putted a stripe on it, after that the normal sterile compress (I plan to put a protective wound dressing between the stripe and the compress) and finally the finger bandage. I plan to change them twice a day (except the stripe, this one I plan to keep on till it falls off for itself as removing it would mean breaking off the wound which is what I want to avoid). Also I'm taking the Ibus (3 times a day) and am planning to do this for one to two weeks.

Did I do anything wrong with this emergency care? Anything I could do better? Any things that require a deeper look? Any other input/brainstorming? For example I'm thinking about putting a bandaid on it for one to two weeks, _without_ changing (except if the fluid passes through it or anything other happens which could contaminate the wounds). Ofc. that would mean a higher infection risk and everything would have to be applied as clean as possible, at best with sterile gloves and so on, just like the implants where performed but on the other side the dried fluid couldn't damage the incision points any more.
Tagged:

Comments

• Fire and alcohol are a combination I have also experienced many many times. XD

Are you sure this is only a 1st degree burn? What is the coating on your magnet? Those finger condoms could be a problem if they cause your fingers to prune (like when you are in the water too long) because the skin may be weaker.

My implant incision still has a very faint scar. The contrast between the scar and the burned area might make it look worse than it is, but the fluid is an issue. It is not re-opened? Is the fluid leaking from the incision or the entire burn area? Like a blister?
  • edited April 2015
    Yes, it's only first degree (if even that, it hurted when it happened and now the skin is slightly red) and not directly at the implants. The magnets are TiN coated (m31 from dangerousthings) and shouldn't have reached a temperature which would damage the coating nor the strength. They're just highly irritated and as the body now has to fix the slight branding damage nearby it also looks closer to the implants, I think.

I'll try to get some photos soon (don't have a good cam for myself) but between the incision points and the burned areas are around 8 to 10 mm (the implants itself are sitting between the incision points and the burned areas).

It at least re-opened a bit (parts of the young skin have been ripped off together with the dried fluid). It's hard to tell how much and how deep this goes, especially now as the Leukostripes are on (I guess they'll rip off soon, the weak Leukosilk holding the bandage seems to be stronger then them). The fluid comes out of the incision points.

It looks more or less like this (quick&dirty, just so you get a better view) :
    Where red is the burned area, green is where the magnets sit and blue is where the incision points are.

If you wonder why the incision points are down there instead of at the fingers sides; The implant method I used is the one with needles instead of surgical blades by @aviin.

//EDIT: BTW: The "Wunddistanzgitter" are called "Silicone Wound Contact Layer" in english ( http://www.smith-nephew.com/uk/products/wound_management/product-search/duratouch/ ) but they are quite expensive so I can't use them for long (max. for the weekend).
  • Update:

Now, two days after, there's still fluid. The Leukostripe ripped off at the first bandage change. The Silicone Wound Contact Layer helped a lot to reduce trauma and pre-dry the fluid so today I decided to not package it at all. So instead of changing the bandaid I just removed it, applied a small dose of Tyrosur-Gel and now I'm waiting for the fluid to completely dry and as a result seal the wound.
  • edited April 2015
    There's something new to say, so next update:

As I told (again 2 days ago) I didn't apply any more bandaid, just letting the fluid dry at the air (controlled ofc. to reduce the infection risk). The scab on the middlefinger is bigger as the one on the ringfinger and today I accidentally damaged it (mini damage) and a volcano of fluid came out. The damage at the scab was small but as I saw so much fluid coming out I helped it a bit, till the river stopped. So now I'm pretty sure there's still an open wound directly to the magnet, but I thing the wound is even bigger; My theory is that the burning caused fluid (as burnings normally do) but it found it easier to flow into the pocket then breaking the skin. This means it could've even been 2 grade burning wounds, it was just not visible... Now that the fluid is out I feel the magnet moving back and fort when I shake the hand, which feels kind of exciting and creepy at the same time. As the ringfinger seems generally better than the middle one I don't want to risk infection by opening the scap tighly (I have 0.3 mm needles here, should be tight enough) but on the same time fear that there could be an equal amount of fluid.

Sorry that I don't have a photo; I decided to not leave my home till the fingers are healed good enough (so the next accident won't rip them out) and so far nobody visited me. All in all the finger tips (the burned areas) feel somehow strange - they don't hurt, just when I touch them the feeling is different than at the other fingers. The skin stared to peel (but it should have started that anyway, no?) and the pocket itself is slightly swollen (hopefully just because there's a magnet sitting) an hurts on slight pressure (esp. the middlefinger) . It's hard to tell if they are red as my fingers always have a slight red colour and the skin under the peeled one is more red anyway.

I still hope they'll recover and even fear going to sleep cause then I can't be extremely careful with them. That's why I didn't sleep since Friday but I can't do this much longer (my record - without drugs - was around 5 days but that was almost 10 years ago and even back then everybody said I started to look and behave like a zombie) so does anyone have any tips except "wait and see" ?

BTW: Almost forgotten: I think sensitivity has decreased a lot since Friday but that could be biased as I didn't really leave my home and tried to avoid all (known) magnetic field sources. Every few hours I get a feeling I should really test it and I have to stop myself to not go into the kitchen, trying the microwave or the bread slicing machine...

//EDIT: New update: I can't belief it's true but at a dark spot I completely felt over my dog... He was howling, I was swearing... Then I had to say sorry for 5 minutes and after that I could clean my implants as I landed on them (pain as hell). Now the good thing is: I think the scab on the ring finger broke off a bit (not sure and don't want to damage it while looking) but no fluid. Will take a ibu against the pain now even if that breaks the cycle a bit.
  • Okay, so yesterday I decided to remove the scab from the middle finger (a lot of fluid came out), clean it with the hardest solution I had available (first washed with saline, then carefully cleaned with 0,3% hydrogen peroxide), then putted a drop of tyrosur on it and packed it (Silicone Wound Contact Layer, sterile wound pad, finger condom thingie). Shortly after I felt to sleep and waked up just a few minutes ago. I removed the bandaid: There's far less fluid in the pad than before and while I saw a small hole going to the pocket while cleaning today this hole doesn't exist anymore, believe it or not: It's covered by a small piece of skin, coming from the wounds border directly to where the hole was. :) Also the magnet doesn't move freely under the skin anymore. The finger still feels weird, but it's more that the wound I cleaned feels irritated than the pocket itself. Also no more pain.

Now I'm going to let the wound dry, just like the other finger and won't put any more bandage on it. Let's hope that it heals good from now on (and esp. that no more accidents happen)