After 2 years with no problems, I think my magnet implant is rejecting
I have a small (forget exact dimensions) parylene-coated neodymium rod in my finger, which has been totally fine for 2 years, except that over the past several months it has, a 3 or 4 times, swollen up pretty badly (seemingly out of nowhere, but maybe I hit it and didn't notice) for a week or two and then gone back to normal. This latest time (starting about a week ago), however, after the swelling went down the magnet was pushed way out and now it seems like it's rejecting, and I'd love your guys' input.
The white stuff and bruising above the magnet was never there before, the skin was totally clear.
The finger aches a little, and occasionally I get sharp pains or tickling on the skin, but so far it feels not bad. When I press over the magnet (which totally hurts) it's quite soft, so there's still a significant layer of flesh between the magnet and the surface of my skin - it's not about to come out yet. But it seems like it's steadily heading there.
1. Wait and see. Have anti-infection cream and band-aids ready if it breaks through the skin, and then just let it do its thing.
1a. If/when it starts really pressing against the (so far totally unbroken) skin, help it along: slice skin with a razor and/or pull magnet towards the surface with another magnet.
2. Go to a doctor now and have it taken out.
Your input would be appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.