Considering doing the magnet thing eventually; let me know what details I'm missing?

edited February 2015 in Magnets
And I wanted to make sure what I'm planning doesn't include any catastrophic mistakes. So I'm writing out a step-by-step list of what I'm considering doing, so that people who have done this can call me out on what I got wrong. This will contain nothing novel or interesting, as most of the information comes from somewhere on this site. Might be helpful for people in The Future, though.

—Soak the (Dangerous Things m31) magnet in the supplied solution.
—For that matter, soak everything in that or isopropyl alcohol; I should probably make some token concession toward not getting infected.
—Soak my (rubber-gloved) finger in ice for ~20 minutes
—Cut off the glove's finger with surgical scissors
—Swab the area with the antiseptic from DT's Pain Management Kit.
—Inject lidocaine. (Where? How precisely? The videos just look like "somewhere in the middle of the finger" but chances are they knew something I don't.)
—Apply an improvised tourniquet. Try to push blood back below it to the extent possible.
—Cut. Curved #15 scalpel blade, small cuts getting extended rather than one fell swoop. Parallel to the direction of the finger, adjacent to the center of the fingerprint, at what would be about a 45-degree angle if the back of my hand were flat down. 
It'd be the fourth finger on my left hand; does it matter whether it's on the side next to the middle finger or the one away from it?
—While underneath the skin, push up to loosen up a space for the magnet. One video used the surgical scissors, another used the scalpel; in the absence of (really, any) information I prefer the first one.
—Insert the magnet with plastic tweezers. It goes in on the side of the incision that's toward the front of the finger.
—Antiseptic on the finger.
—Close the incision with steri-strips. This sounds much easier than trying a suture.
—After 3-5 days, surgical glue.

Ideally, this list is complete and more precise than it needs to be. I very much doubt that's the case.
Tagged:

Comments

• edited October 2014
    In my opinion, the quintessential magnet implant guide 

This contains a very detailed guide on how to perform a nerve block (Because just injecting lidocaine pell-mell into your finger is... not bright or effective).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It sounds like I wasn't missing any information I didn't know I was missing.

Thanks for the links. From the part 2 there, it made it sound like all that mattered was not injecting into a vein. I was expecting a more precise requirement about what gets hit and not just what gets missed. And I'm really glad for incision information more precise than "about a 45 degree angle."

How long does the nerve block last if everything is done correctly? And what's the worst thing that anyone has reported going wrong from inserting a magnet?

The other important question is, are there usually professionals who do this sort of thing, or is it DIY only? Self-surgery is, shall we say, somewhat reckless.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'd assume it usually goes without a hitch, judging by the continued existence of interest in it. The question is how large of a minority there is: 99% likelihood of no permanent negative effects is probably OK; 95% probably isn't.

A list of professionals would definitely help with that. Is there usually someone in most areas? I'm nowhere near Arizona. I've heard they can't use any anesthetic but ice, though, and that sounds painful. (I would love for it to be wrong.)

On the subject of anesthetic, is it a good/bad/redundant idea to use a topical anesthetic to make the nerve block easier? It's obviously not as important as the nerve block itself, but I'm not really seeing the downside.
  • I don't know what your tolerance is with needles but my mere block was relatively simple. Cassox's guides are really helpful.
  • @featherlessBiped I've used the ice method. It doesn't hurt too much. Stings a bit, but it definitely numbs it enough to do. I fill a cup with ice and cold water, let the water cool a little then with your gloved finger you stick it in and hold it on (push a bit) on an ice cube so that you get the full effect.

That worked for me fairly well for pain management.
  • edited October 2014
    Just get the lidocaine. there is literally no good reason to not use anesthetic unless you are allergic.

Using topical is not even redundant as in it wont even matter.

as far as your concerns about percentage... i dont know of anyone who has had permanent damage from a botched implant except for people who were not using the tools available (ice and vodka for pain and anesthetic). While cutting into yourself is a big deal (don't let anyone tell you otherwise.) it's not brain surgery. Use the right tools, follow protocol. You'll be fine. No lost fingers yet!

For someone in your area, I don't know about that. The Dangerous Things partner map went a little sideways from what I hear. Yeah, that's right. Body mod professionals using the partner map to call the gov on each other for infighting and so that they can corner markets by shutting other people down... That's just the saddest bs ever.... 

However, I can say that I have felt more positive watching grinders do implants than I have felt watching "pros".  Cutting isn't art. It's protocol. If you follow protocol, you will be ok. 

Keep your hands calm. Make sure to breathe. Keep your ish sterile. 
  • "Body mod professionals using the partner map to call the gov on each other for infighting and so that they can corner markets by shutting other people down..."

This makes me so sad.
  • yeah, i didn't even want to bring it up, but i heard about this a bit ago and it's been pissing me off something hardcore.
  • edited October 2014
    That is very sad, I'd hoped it was just a local thing :( My favourite piercing studio was run out of town by someone with more money and less hygiene than a sweaty camels' nasty bits after 3 months in the desert. Same with my old tattooist, his business partner stole all the gear inc. autoclave, buddy had to close shop and leave town due to the debts this put him in (he'd only been open a few weeks, nothing to fall back on). Months later, his business partner opened a filthy studio from a shed behind one of the shops in town. Literally. A goddamn shed. And it's still licenced,
  • I warned my piercing artist about this infighting and he didn't seem surprised. He has two established shops and gets a yearly visit from Steve Haworth so he runs a tight ship. He told me about some of the badmouthing that happens between parlors in the same cities and even further.

I heard about my guy from a person recommendation and I have recommended him to everyone I meet who is interested in an implant.