Turn Magnet Implant Into Portable Speaker?

2»

Comments

• I've gotten sound from my finger magnet and an "Invisible headphone" set. The two had to be a couple millimeters apart and the quality was atrocious. I could probably hear well enough to make a phone call but I wouldn't enjoy it.

As an experiment in making speaker jewelry I tried different methods of attaching magnets and electromagnets and the two biggest factors were creating a small gap from the magnet to the coil and having the speaker diaphragm able to move freely. Both of these factors are complicated by having the magnet inside a finger. You can't get close and finger tips don't want to move freely. The answer is to pour LOTS of power into your coil, which isn't complicated. 

"Invisible Headphones" have a little amp all ready to go, just replace the coil with one of your own and strap the twin 9V batteries to your wrist. I can give this a try on my invisible headphones and see if it's worth the trouble. I will follow up when I have finished trying this.
  • I tried different coil sizes and the best method I found was to wrap the standard coil around my hand three times. Maybe this could be integrated into gloves rather than a bracelet.

Read the whole experiment.
  • Hey @mcstuff,

I have a m31 in my pinky, and i want to make it work, do you have any tips? i tried ripping a pair of earbuds/ speakerwire and wrapping it around, but i havnt been succesfull....

Thanks already
  • You should read the previous posts - basic speaker will not do the trick, you either have to buy one of those "invisible headphone" sets or make them yourself. You need the amplifier to make the pulses strong enough.
  • You definitely need an amplifier. A home amplifier will do the trick because it simply has a lot of wattage but if you pass that much power through thin wire you're also making a heating element as well as an electromagnet. But, it may give you something to tinker with if a portable option isn't immediately available.
    You can also experiment with LM386 amplifiers since they're available as neat little modules.
    For reference, when you put a finger on the cone of a headphone speaker you should be able to feel a faint vibration. To get sound out of your finger you need to get that much vibration. A headphone speaker cone probably weighs micrograms while your finger has a lot more inertia so you'll need that much more power.
    It's not impossible but it hasn't been easy yet. If you can figure out a repeatable method there will be a lot of happy biohackers. Good luck.
  • I had luck with an old clock radio. I just pulled the speaker coil out, plugged the radio in, and was able to get sound from my finger.