NFC computer login

pibpib
edited February 2015 in RFID/NFC
Hey all,

I suppose I should ask this in some tech forums, but I figured some of you may have some insight.

I have the Dangerous Things xNT NFC installation that I'm sure a lot of you have, and it's great and I love it. I was using it to log into my windows 8.1 professional machine, but I broke something and it doesn't work anymore, and I'm getting tired of troubleshooting. 

Do any of you all have a similar set up, and are able to log in with a wave of the hand? Do you have a third party app to manage the login creds, and if so what do you use? Or did you just use some registry tweaking that I can't yet figure out?

Details on my situation, if anyone can help: windows 8.1 pro, acr122u smartcard reader. I was using NFC CSP Lite to generate the login certificate, then EIDAuthenticate login. I started with their free EIDAuthenticate enterprise demo, but that only lasted 30 days before they asked me to pay ~$90usd. I tried EIDauthenticate private (free), but had to hack it to work with win8.1pro, and it worked for just a few days. Now it wont use any certificate without an invalid keyset error. I don't know if the issue is with my certificates or the hacked version of EIDAuth or other.
Tagged:

Comments

• My experience with NFC for computer login has been pretty piss-poor so far, not due to the implant but due to most operating systems really sucking at a reliable way of handling it. I had hoped that Windows would be better with their supposed smartcard-friendliness, but I never got it working.

A better bet, and the one I use daily, is the RFID implant Amal sells (I think it's called the xEM). Use that with a cheap $10 USB reader from Amazon, the reader jsut reads the tag and then outputs the numerical ID followed by a newline. Set that number as your password and scan your hand to login at the prompt without touching the keyboard. I would recommend using it only as the last PART of your password for security reasons, effectively using two-factor authentication on your login (something you know, and something you have) and also adding complexity in case of cracking attempts. Since it prints a newline after the scan, it works great if you type in the first chunk of the password and then scan your hand to "authorize" it.
  • Zombiegristle, what reader are you using, out of interest?
  • edited August 2014
    I'm using this one - there are a lot of sellers with this same reader, it's a cheap mass-produced model made in China. This one seems to be a good price since it also comes with a stack of tags. The best part about these readers, is since all they do is send a series of keystrokes over the USB data channel, they do not require any drivers on any OS. If it can use a USB keyboard, then this sucker is plug-and-play. I even used it once at a BIOS prompt, before the OS was loaded.

http://www.amazon.com/125KHZ-EM4100-Proximity-Reader-5Keytags/dp/B00FZLZEIC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407842669&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+rfid
  • Nice. A couple of thoughts:

The IT wonk in me is nervous about using the RFID/NFC to act as a a cut/paste of plaintext. There's nothing stopping someone from finding the UID of the chip and (with your typed portion of the password of course) just typing in the full text. Still, it does do some mitigation against over-the-shoulder security breach. 

Worth mentioning also the RFID reader you link is a 125khz reader, it will not work with xNT (or any NFC chip). I haven't figured out yet how to get my NFC reader to spit out plaintext pre-windows login. Maybe I just need a new reader...
  • True, but that argument really doesn't mean anything. "There's nothing stopping someone" from just finding out your password and typing it in anyway. The RFID/NFC is a matter of convenience, not security. The two-step method is just to help mitigate the biggest security issue, being that of eavesdropping on the card ID. If someone can hijack both your RFID tag's UID AND the portion of the password you remember in your head each time, then they can much more easily do other, far worse things.

Sort of like people worrying about using RFID or bluetooth to unlock a car. "What if someone steals the wireless ID? They could get into your car!" True, assuming they have both the know-how and the equipment...Or, they could just smash out the window with a rock they picked up off the ground for free.
  • Good points, things I keep forgetting. It's easy to get lost in the finer details when trying to figure this stuff out. Thanks for keeping me in perspective!