implantation consideration

edited February 2015 in Magnets
Very recently I had come across the subject of biohacking, and the magnet implant had caught my eye. The reasoning for which is because I am an IT major, and spend a lot of time working on electronics. I have read through a number of the posts already, so from what i have read, the magnets are not strong enough to cause damage to most if not all internal components. Also with the placement of it in the non-dominant ring finger it would be even less likely to have contact with anything that could actually be hurt by it.
So my question is, do any of you also work in this field? I am trying to think of practical applications that would be helpful in diagnosis and work with networks and devices. (not to mention I think its really cool)
Tagged:

Comments

• I do web development and also repair/rebuild computers as a hobby. I've found the two in my hands to be handy when it comes to screws. Massive messy pile of tiny screws everywhere? Easy! Deep-set screw loose in a laptop, but you can't coax it out? No problem! No luck sensing live wires yet, but maybe eventually...
  • They're also handy for sensing whether a hard drive is spinning or not, and locating small components on a board like a BIOS speaker or a microphone. With practice you might be able to tell the difference between a healthy fan or drive, and one that's spinning slower than it should.
  • i do enjoy the thought of those small pesky screws being more easily gotten a hold of :) ... with the initial concerns of it interfering with my work squashed, it now becomes a matter of size, coating, and implanting method. Because i live in WV it looks to be that i will have to consider self implantation (this doesn't cause me trouble as i have a great pain tolerance). I've noticed two methods of implantation, a big @ss needle and the scalpel method.... Has anyone done it with a syringe? knowing that i will not be able to have any one help me with it, i would consider it the easiest implantation method. 
    I would assume that the method would be something along the lines of a big freaking needle with some saline solution?  
  • Don't use the big ass needle. It's the worst way to implant something like this.
    Think about it. Needles are made out of steel. Magnets stick to steel. Proceed logically.... It's like getting your ears pierced at hot topic....

The magnets that cass and i have been working on are much smaller but more powerful than the haworth mags, and have better coating than super magnet man magnets and haworths. I have actually tested these things.

i'll have samples back in a few days. Going to post all the results when that happens.

I will say this again. There should not be a debate about potential coatings. There is what works and everything else. We need to move away from easy being acceptable.

Amal is building an affiliate network to get modders connected with this community. There aren't any in WV yet, but we can look. Beyond that, look at Cassox's augmentation limitless blog for the diy techniques for getting your magnet in. And don't go the "I can handle the pain" route. Get the proper tools for doing the job.
  • edited July 2014
    thanks glims! Considering the needle is a bad idea obviously because it of course would stick. I had seen how cassox had a kit available (i believe 60 bucks is what i read) However because you make mention of samples I want to hear what you have going on first. 
      I of course would choose to use something to limit pain, its just that having performed piercings and tattoos on myself I have a slight understanding in how to manage myself with what pain will be felt even after administering some type of pain management medication to myself. In other words i'm saying i know it may still hurt like a mother....its just part of it.
    Obviously I am going to be taking my time on making the decision, and doing my research/ asking around. At the current point, I'm just looking for input. 
    I do agree on the potential coatings debate, safety is key and if it means the expense is a little higher, then it is worth it. I don't feel its acceptable to just take something off the shelf and hope it doesn't cause any problems after being implanted. Instead, like the work you guys have been doing, I feel research and correct thinking is the way to move this forward in any attempt at advancing in this work. 
    Another question I am wanting to ask is the use of something like a liquid bandage vs. a suture. I had noticed there was a debate over it and it seemed like it really was dependent upon size of the incision. As much as I probably wouldn't enjoy it, a suture is more than likely the best method of keeping the incision closed no matter the size of it, would it not?
  • Unless you've got practice using something like dermabond, it's very easy to accidentally get CA inside the wound, which will stop the edges from joining ('approximating') and healing well. A suture will ensure approximation, but can be more difficult if you don't have experience (although you can learn the basics well online; I did mine with no experience and it worked very well). Sutures also let you decide when to remove. Perhaps others have differing opinions, but I'm definitely behind sutures all the way.
  • i definitely feel that sutures are the better method for myself, and by the way mothball ball....very good video of a self implant! When i watched it, that certainly helped give me a better idea of what i will be needing to do if/when i do my own. Like anything i do, i allow myself some time to think about it instead of jumping in (less likely to regret decision or go about it the wrong way) but at this point it seems i will probably go through with it. 
  • edited July 2014
    Glad to hear it - feel free to post, pm, or comment if you have specific questions.

Suture kits are sometimes hard to find; if you've got a nurse or vet friend (or wandering hands in a clinic room - not that I endorse that), that makes it easy.