Parylene integrity check?

I've read here and elsewhere that soaking the parylene coated magnet (mine are from supermagnetman) in saline, or sometimes just water, can indicate parylene coat failure if bubbles appear n the exposed magnet after a little while.

Can anyone empirically confirm this with either a reputable source or some chemistry about why or if this is a reliable check? I have no reason to suspect coating damage but want to be sure - and I don't want to base my assumption that I'm safe from heavy metal poisoning on snake oil.

Anyone with anecdotal evidence/chemical explanation?


  • oxidation rxn as material is exposed to water.
    source: im a chemist.

    it's moderately poisonous, but the oxidation will cause issues before you get heavy metal poisoning.
Sign In or Register to comment.