magnet coating allergy concerns

I just discovered biohacking and I am fascinated with magnet implants - both for fun and experimentation to hack pain.

But reading through the myriad posts on magnet coatings, I have a concern.

I have extreme allergies.  I see that some neodym magnets come nickel-coated and some are gold-coated, and I am allergic to nickel, chromium, and silver.  I also see that Parylene C can cause some sensitivity, but while being biosafe, is not very durable.  I am concerned that the "usual" magnets I see used stand a high risk of causing an allergic reaction for me, forcing removal.

I want to find a coating that is durable, biosafe, non-reactive (as in, it won't cause an allergic reaction or massive inflammation), and relatively inexpensive.  Does something like that exist?

Thank you for any input!


  • I'm pretty sure that Cassox is working on some Titanium Nitride coated magnets. I'm pretty sure those would be just what you need.

    I do not suggest using parylene. All of the tests I have run on it show it to be sub par.
  • NuclearFantasies, Jack_Sylvane, glims, I thank you greatly for the input so far.

    The Haworth magnet would be perfect - but it's out of my budget.

    I am investigating either coating the magnet myself with a suitable material, or outsourcing the job.

    LSR is too expensive.  AA-Bond FDA22 seems worth investigation, though.  It's Class VI (I know that doesn't guarantee it for long-term implantation) and not expensive.

    To outsource, I don't know the protocol here.  Do I order the magnets I want myself?  Or am I ordering completed product from someone?

    I admit I'm eager to move forward - but I know this has to be done right.
  • I have VP 782N-3 Magnetic Tumble Stir Disc, parylene coated implanted.  I am also allergic to nickel.  From what I understand, most nickel allergies you aren't actually allergic to nickel, your body produces a compound in your sweat that breaks it down.  When it gets broken down it gets stuck to your skin which will leave a green rash that causes zits/sores. 

    I have yet to have issues with mine, and they have been in for over a year.  If I wear a nickel watch I will have the rash after a day.  If you are worried about the reaction, superglue or tape a magnet to your arm for a couple days to be sure.
  • @glims Titanium Nitride? How's he depositing it? 
  • edited May 2014
    On a side note, I tried the AA-Bond FDA22 already. It's not optimal. When cured, it has a strange stretchy consistency. By tugging and manipulating it, you can easily pop the magnet right out. I don't advise it.

    Yes, the TiN coatings so far are the absolute best. The test results were worlds better than anything else and TiN is about as strong a coating as one can get.
    I'm likely going to get a batch of 200 made soon. I have 1 last step to test... the temperatures look good on paper, but I need to make sure the final product will still be N52 grade.
  • Well, I'm going with multiple deposition runs to allow for polishing etc. I'm not 100% commited to to the TiN, as there is one more very promising potential coating that I'm exploring. I promise I'm working hard on these things, but I'm not going to release them to the wild until absolutely sure what I've got is the best possible product.
  • By not recommending dental resin anymore, do you mean that it's downright harmful or prone to rejection? Or just not optimal? 
  • Not harmful, just not optimal. No one who purchased a magnet from me reported a rejection. One person reported a magnet popping out after poor healing and then reimplanted it. I haven't heard any further updates so I assume it took. A person who made their own magnet using my method however reported rejection. The more I looked into the material, the more I realized this could be done so much better. The resin is semi-porous and thus we are still relying on the Parylene C as the main layer of protection. The resin was essentially a mechanical reinforcement for the Parylene. The issue with this is that it provides a great place for build up of bacterial film. In terms of toxicity etc, I doubt that there is significant difference from silicone but this can be done better. It will be done better.
Sign In or Register to comment.