Open Source Orgasmatron

You may remember this device from Sleeper, this thread is to discuss the possibility to create the real thing. BTW, I know that there is a guy already commercializing something along these lines. The point is to make a better, customizable, DIY version with open blueprints for anyone to enjoy (potentially adding some kind of connection with someone else's implant). A couple of popular science articles to open the discussion:

Implant Achieves Female Orgasm
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2001/02/41682

A Sex Chip? Targeting the Brain's Pleasure Center with Electrodes
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-sex-chip
Tagged:

Comments

• @DirectorX and I were talking about this a while back.  Ultimately, the device shouldn't be anything more complicated than a few electrodes connected to a microchip connected to something that can receive wireless signals, as well as a power supply of some sort.  The hard part is convincing a surgeon to actually implant it, though I believe DirectorX thought of something on that end as well.
  • An anesthesiologist could do that. Here is a youtube video which pretty much qualifies you to do it yourself should you chose to do so ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1evFwMXnGiI

The feedback loop feature would be supreme.

The first issue is that the electrode can't be connected to a wire that goes outside the epidural/spine area. Leaving that area open could lead to serious infection/death.

The second issue is figuring out how to keep a floating electrode in place within the spine. I imagine the thing could migrate over time a little bit. Maybe it isn't a big deal?
  • That's a big deal. A little shift could = a little scar tissue = a lotta pain.
  • IanIan
    edited October 2013
    Feedback, as in your orgasmatron is connected to your partner's and feeding back into each of them?  That should be easy enough as well, and essentially amounts to a change in the software.  The basic electronics is nothing overly complicated, I think.  The surgery and placement is the hard part.  I guess I'm not overly qualified to speak on that angle.

The thing with the feedback loop, though, is that a neuron can essentially be in two states:  action potential or no action potential.  There's a certain threshold voltage (which is around 70 mV with respect to the inside of the cell IIRC), which will force a neuron into action potential mode if you exceed it.  If we increase any further, we can increase the number of neurons that start an action potential, but that's also going to hit a threshold eventually.  It depends on how many neurons can carry this particular signal to the correct brain region; hopefully there are enough that the feedback loop can generate high enough voltages without worries.
  • I'm late responding here. Yes, that's what I was thinking for the feedback loop. Also, climax control function. I see your point with the number of neurons. I guess that would just be trial and error? 

As far as the floating trode goes, the inventor has an entirely implanted option available so maybe he's figured that out. Many implants use barbs to keep them in place. 

What do you think about ultrasonic stim through the spine by a subdermal device? That way you don't need to violate the spine. Maybe some tuning forks placed in the right spot? I wonder if tuning forks would work? They should be able to create the right frequency, but I've never heard of them being used for nerve stimulation. Resonant stim?
  • Ultrasonic stimulation does appear to stimulate neurons, but I think it has to be targeted in a certain way; I'm not sure if tuning forks could be configured to stimulate neurons correctly or not.  I'd have to look more into transcranial ultrasonic neuromodulation.