Trephination, Ancient Aliens, and Spanish Fly

edited February 2015 in Everything else
This blog serves as an equipment guide for implants and such. Included is a video on performing Digital Nerve Blocks. I'm still going to fiddle around with it. I think the section on suture knots needs more info/etc.

Implanting a Magnet II: Trephination, Ancient Aliens, and Spanish Fly

Please let me know if you find it informative. Or if its crap tell me that too.
Tagged:

Comments

• Um, didn't they misspell trepanation?
  • Fixed the link, so it works now. Actually not a misspelling. You'll find it spelled in many ways - Verb form can be trepan or trephine, noun form- Trepanation or trephination.

You can determine someones background a bit from which they choose. As the tool is pretty much always called a trephine, trephinate denotes a medical background, whereas when you see trepan or trepanation, it's generally someone with an anthropological background. Weird eh?
  • Weird indeed. Thank you for the linguistic explanation and for fixing the link to the article.

Having performed self-surgery twice now, once to implant a parylene coated magnet in my finger and another to remove a non-functioning RFID implant from my hand, I can attest to the accuracy of the information provided in the article, which goes even beyond my own research into surgical procedure. I would also suggest a thorough study of the anatomy of the hand to make certain that you don't inject lidocaine into a vein. Knowing I was not near a vein gave me much more confidence in self-administering the anesthetic, which could cause serious complications if misused.

Once the follow-up article is posted, please post the link to that here as well.
  • Thanks! It's still a work in progress, but its been so tedious that I figured I'd just post and pick at it further.
  • wow, that's a really good article, thanks Cassox, I hope you don't mind if it gets archived.
  • Definitely not, I mean you guys are pretty much my limited audience anyhow.
  • Whether it's spelled correctly or not, I won't be drilling a whole in my head anytime soon.  Too many of my friends and family already think I'm crazy and some don't even know that I implanted the magnet into my finger.  My mom's a worrier and I wanted to wait until you can't see so much as a scar before telling her I did it, since she flipped when I told her I was thinking about it.  
    Other things I've done that people think are crazy are trans-cranial magnetic stimulation, using electromagnets pulsed and synchronized to try to mimic what people with temporal lobe epilepsy call "the god experience".  
  • @DirectorX had an idea about how we could be able to pay an actual neurosurgeon to do the brain surgery for us, using a sort of group-buy.  Basically, he figures that the total cost of paying one off (in some appropriate country) for a year's worth of services is around $100,000, so we just need 100 people willing to pay $1,000 for the surgery (plus travel costs).
  • Oh man. I'm certainly not advocating for trephination/trapaning. The chick in the first video of the blog is Amanda Fielding. You can find the full length vids of her drilling a hole in her head. At first, she sounds rather reasonable, but the longer you listen to hear speak the more you realize... something is wrong with this chick... Also, her face and jaw seemed... familiar to me.

Turns out... she's Hapsburg. For those of you unfamiliar, the Hapsburgs were a royal line in Europe with such extensive inbreeding that they all ended up with genetic disorders (mostly in the spanish branch of the family, although it was practiced by others). She has the classic inbred Hapsburg  jaw. Not that this really has anything to do with Trepanation. It just seemed a revelation to me. Ha!