Negating or eliminating the effects of sleep deprivation

I've recently stumbled upon a rodent and primate tested compound called Orexin-a which appears to completely negate the effects of sleep deprivation. In subjects tested after 36 hours of sleep deprivation, those on Orexin-a scored just as high as the control group, while the placebo group scored substantially lower. I've heard of human testing but can't seem to find anything related to such a study. I also have no prior experience to other drugs such as Modafinil, however am willing to try this one.
From what I've read, on the primate group it was discovered that a nasally administered version was much more effective than intravenous, dosage was 1  μg per kg of body weight and a maximum dose of 10 μg per kg of weight. There were no reported effects on alert subjects, but it dramatically increased the scoring on the sleep deprived subjects. I'll have 5 mg of Orexin-a (about a 73 day supply) arriving in a few days and will report any interesting findings.

Comments

• Please do update. Thats an interesting find. 
  • Please keep me updated. That is awesome. I'll have to do a bit of research on this myself. I'm intrigued. It makes Modafinil seem old fashioned.
  • I should be receiving the Orexin-a today and will dilute it down with distilled water (don't want too much irritation in my nose) to roughly 68μg / .5ml and administering it with an Afrin bottle. I'll be incrementing the days one at a time, so one night without sleep on Orexin-a, then a night of sleep followed by two nights of no sleep etcetera until I start to feel effects of sleep loss.
  • I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe those little Afrin sprayers put out 0.20 ml. Maybe it was .5ml though.... I've used them for intranasal insulin which has shown promise as a nootropic as well. What supplier did you use?
  • I'm using ergopep, also I haven't picked up the Afrin bottle as of yet, I was guessing it was at around .5ml but will dilute to 68μg per spray.
  • Well I've finally gotten around to testing out the Orexin-a; after a 12 hour work day and already exhausted, I came home to find a package quite a bit too large for such a tiny bottle. After mixing it in an Afrin bottle, I took roughly 35μg and within about 15 minutes, all the tiredness I had was completely gone. It was kind of like drinking a ton of coffee, but without the twitchiness; very alert without feeling like I was drugged. I noticed the effects last roughly 2 hours or so. 
    After taking it a total of 3 times in one night and staying up about 7 hours past when I'd normally pass out, I finally fell asleep about 2 hours before I had to be up. The next day I woke up feeling incredible, fully alert, in a great mood and full of energy. I hit another 12 hour day without pausing once to rest, came home and tried the same dose, once every 2 hours. I was up until about 4am and woke up at 6am for another long day of work with the same feeling after sleep.
    I've had a total of about 4 hours of sleep for the past two nights and it feels like I've been well rested the entire time. I'd say this "drug" definitely works and will be using it rather frequently to assist my crazy schedule. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who needs the extra hours in a day.
  • Mind linking to the studies you found? Sleep has always been really fascinating to me. Have the long term effects of this been looked at?

I spend six months trying out a polyphasic sleep schedule a couple years ago. I managed to remain sharp and lucid for the majority of the time but I noticed a huge problem with my long term memory and it took me ages to heal from minor cuts and scrapes. 

Just something to keep in mind if you plan on continuing to use this long term. 
  • If you do a google search for "Orexin-a sleep" it'll bring up a host of websites. Most of them cite the primate research group and there's also a bit of information on Wikipedia as well. 
    So far I've been taking it mostly in the mornings if I haven't gotten enough sleep the night before and it'll jump me from drowsy and almost non-functional to awake and ready to go in about 15 minutes or so.
  • @geckogut Where did you buy the Orexin-a?  The only place I can find that isn't $200 for a 5 mg sample is this website, but the fact that it's the only website selling it at that low a price makes me a bit suspicious.
  • Actually, I was thinking the same thing. Ergopep doesn't have very many good reviews, although sleep isn't something I imagine to be that responsive to placebo.
  • Hm, it looks like different professionals who have tested Ergopep's stuff are yielding mutually inconsistent results.  Some say that their "peptides" are just solutions of salt and other, unidentified compounds, while others seem to say that the effects of their compounds are inconsistent with their being salt.
  • Sorry it took a little while to respond, but I'm unsure of what to make of it. I know it was a suspiciously low price for the orexin-a, however the results on the first few days were unquestionable - full alertness and not tired whatsoever. However, I don't think there would be a tolerance to such a chemical since your body uses it, but after about a week of regularly taking it - I noticed the effects had pretty much all but worn off. If I get a decent bonus this year I'll definitely be buying some verified stuff.
    In the meantime I'm back to experimenting with nootropics to see how far I can "overclock" my mind and playing around with Amal's NFC RFID's - neat little things.
  • Did anyone try Orexine-A again? I have found two shops, while the first one seems kind of... cheap: http://www.musclefuture.com/productdetails.aspx?id=12760